Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Sad Day

I sent John off for his deployment yesterday. He will be at Fort lewis in Washington for 2 months before he goes to Afghanistan. I don't want any pity, but I am pleading for your prayers. I know people who read my blog are my nearest and dearest, and I know you'll all have the same questions, so to make it easier for me, I'm going to just explain it all... John speaks Arabic, and is in the National Guard. He has been to Iraq before but with a less than ideal unit. This deployment however will be mainly to create relationships with the people in Afghanistan, and to try to find the "bad guys". We both feel very fortunate because John's unit are all LDS guys, 2 out of the 10 are inactive but still GREAT great guys. His deployment will be for a year, so I'll have him home next February. :) I am beyond proud of him, and I know the Lord will keep him safe. He will be one of a few hundred priesthood holders in the entire country, and the relationships he will build in Afghanistan I know will prepare people for the gospel truth, even if they can't receive it for a long time. Without that reassurance I would not be nearly as faithful and hopeful as I am.

Here's a news clip, you can actually see John passing by in the group of soldiers in the first clip of men...he's carrying a black breifcase type thing :)
http://www.myfoxutah.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=F2B4ECD59E0EA82DBE7448E12777D400?contentId=5886465&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

While he is gone I will be staying with various family ( I don't do well alone, I need people! ) SO yesterday after he left I moved into Laura's house with her husband and one son at home. (Laura is the Teacher I work with at school who set me and John up in the first place) I will live with her until the end of May when school gets out. Then I will move farther south to live with my brother and his wife and kids, and be close to Ben, Kristen, Dylan, and Kaci. I'm still waiting to hear back from the Nauvoo Pageant for the summer. At the end of August I will move to the country Jordan for 3 months and live with John's parent and 2 youngest brothers. John's Dad Lane is a Colonel in the Army and will be the Attache for the U.S Embassy in Jordan. That means we will be entertaining dignitaries from all over the world for dinner, Queens, Prime Ministers, Presidents and the like...(What will i WEAR???!!!) I'll get to go to Jerusalem and See all the sights in Jordan. John will hopefully take his leave (2 weeks) in September or October and we'll go explore Egypt, and Scuba Dive in the red sea :)!!! Then I will come home to Oregon for Christmas and either stay with my folks for a few weeks, or go back to my brothers in Utah till John comes home in February. Man I am exhausted after just writing that! I'm hoping to stay very busy, maybe the time will go quickly:) Oh, I forgot to say that I'm not teaching next year, I will be getting my masters degree online starting in April, so I'll be busy with that as well :)

I just wanted to give you all the update, Thanks for your support and phone calls everyone- I spent my whole life looking for my best friend to spend forever with, and it's almost unbearable to let him go for a year now.

I know I'll be taken care of, I have an amazing family and wonderful friends who make sure of that, and I know he'll be taken care of too. Keep him in your prayers...

18 comments:

LeAnn said...

Court,
You have such a great attitude, so possitive and upbeat. You are an inspiration,I know you can do this and I couldn't be more proud of you!

*Stephanie Lance* said...

Sist i am SO SO SO proud of you! i can't express it enough! i have been thinking about you a lot and praying for you and my favorite brother-in-law....(my only one he he) To tell you the truth i was really worried about you but to see you the way you are handling everything is so great! You're made of tough stuff and i'm so proud of you! i just wish we lived closer and we could have sleepovers! i love you SO much!!!!

*Stephanie Lance* said...

I SAW JOHN!!!! It took me a couple of times to watch it to know what i was looking for but once i saw it i was instantly proud!!! Then i watched it a couple more times cuz i thought it was cool! hahaha love you!!!

Amanda said...

Court,
Hey, it's your cousin Amanda! Your blog is so cute, and it's been fun to keep up with you two. You are such a strength and example to me. Thanks so much! You inspire me to be a better person! Love you!
Amanda

The Lowarys said...

Courtenay- YOU ARE AMAZING!!!! You are seriously probably the strongest person I have ever known! Atleast you've got a lot of plans to stay busy, sounds like you're going to have a lot of adventures and probably have some fun times- I love ya!!
Katie "Hutch"

The Lowarys said...

Sorry to leave two comments but I was just telling my husband and mother-in-law about how great you are and Blayne was saying that America is great because of people like you and your husband- WE LOVE YOU!!!!

Danielle said...

I love you Court, I will be praying for you both! You are so strong, and I KNOW you will make it through this:)

Linda Horsley said...

Hey Court,

Hang in ther cute girl. The blog is the best place to put your feelings. Here is something to keep you busy....you have been tagged. Go to my blog for instructions. Love Ya!

Emily said...

I am seriously tearing up right now. I just blogged about how Steve took the bar and has been gone a lot lately. Now I just feel dumb for complaining because it is NOTHING compared to John being gone for a whole year. I can't even imagine that, and it makes me so sad. I will be praying for his safety and your sanity! Just think of all the amazing experiences you will have this next year...going to Jordan, Egypt...that is so awesome! I love you and know that you are strong enough to take on something like this. Not everyone is (like me), but you can do it. Call me ANYTIME, and also, we would LOVE to have you come and stay with us if you ever get any time in your busy schedule.

Love you!
You are fat-ugly-retarded in one.

Tiffany said...

You're amazing! My prayers are with you!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Oh Courtenay, I am tearing up. You are so strong. So brave. Katie and Blayne are right, it is people like you and John that makes our country safe. You are apart of that because you are John's wife, and you are sacrificing him for a year. I can't believe all these adventures you are having! That is so exciting! You are going to do things that alot of people will NEVER do, and at such a young age! I know you don't want any questions- but i read it a few tiems to understand- you will only be seeing him for 2 weeks when you are with his parents? I loved seeing him in the video, he looked so serious and "called to duty", I'm glad your proud, I am. I love you. How was your first birthday married?!! Love to hear from you when you get a chance.

the splendid life of us... said...

You gotta be one strong woman to send your love off like that! I just dont think I could take it! We will pray for him and his safety and you and your sanity! Love you!

Carol and Bruce said...

Wow, you have a lot going on. I'm glad you can spend so much time with family and that you have a lot of exciting things planned for the next year. It is going to be fun hearing all about your adventures and we will keep you both in our prayers.

Me. said...

Wow that is so crazy can I just say that if it was me I WOULD DIE! But your in my prayers. And I did see John in the video lol Good luck with everything it will work out :) And how fun will it be to live in jordan for awhile?! LOVE IT and I LOVE YOU! Your in my prayers if there is anything I can do just let me know !

Kae Lamb

Susan @ Second Chances by Susan said...

Courtenay,

You're one of my favorite people, always smiling, and always full of love! I will also keep you and John in my prayers. I'm sure that you will grow tremendously during this time and that the Lord will bless you because I'm sure that you're one of His favorites, too! Love, Sis. Luke

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Courtenay what's going on! You need to blog! I love you.

E and J said...

We miss you and are thinking about you! Let us know if there is anything we can do!

Conforti Family said...

Court! It so good to see you and hear whats going on in your life. it's amazing how time flies and how much we have all grown up. Anyway I wanted to let you know that i understand what you are going through right now. My husband mike Went to iraq for a year when our daughter was almost 2months old and we had only been married for a year. He came back when she was 15 months old. Its really hard to go through it, keep yourself busy and try to have some fun. we were stationed in germany so I got to travel lots of places. Mike was able to get a scholarship through the army so he could finish school which is where we are now, BYU. He is done in June then commissions back into the army and then he will most likely deploy again, so i know about moving everywhere and not ever having your husband home. take care and know that he will be protected. Miss ya and keep smiling and think about our cool hand shake!
Jessica (Jones) Conforti