A few more questions today...
Nursing bras....what's the best?
Also, I LOVE wearing dresses, especially now that I'm huge, and they are so comfortable...how do you nurse when you're wearing a dress, like a long dress...or do you?
I'm swollen, I put my feet up every day at lunch in the teachers lounge, they hurt so bad when the school day is over...I know avoid salty foods, any other tricks?
And, to leave you with a laugh...kids are so funny:
Maggie: (looking at me with her head cocked to one side, contemplative... standing in the lunch line staring at me) "mrs. Lance, your baby gives you a lot of baby fat huh?"
Me: (looking down at my big belly) "Yes Maggie, he does..."
Maggie: "Yeah...like a lot of baby fat huh?
Me: "um, yeah :)"
Then in Reading class, we are de-coding words...
"okay we just decoded the word enormous, how many syllables does enormous have, lets clap it out together, okay e (clap) nor (clap) mous (clap) three, that's right it had three syllables, who can use the word enormous in a sentence?
Jenny: (ALWAYS uses the requested words in a sentence that is a question because one time I praised her for using a question...) "Are you enormous?"
Me: (looking down at my belly) "Yes. I am."
Today in the morning, kids are filing into the classroom, taking attendance, beginning their seat work, and Diane says "Wow Mrs. lance, you just keep on getting bigger and bigger...........like every day, just bigger and bigger! :)"
This weekend, with my niece Kaci:
Me: "Kaci, lets put these chips away, you're going to eat the entire bag honey! :)"
Kaci: "Good idea, let's put them away, if I keep eating them I'll be big and fat like you!"
Me: "KACI! I did NOT get fat like this from eating too many potato chips!!! I have a BABY inside me (thankyouverymuch!)"
Kids are so...honest :)
Don't worry though, for every kid that tells me I'm huge in a sweet and innocent way, there are like two dozen people who tell me that I look cute, so don't pity me, I just wanted to share my humorous life :) I don't have a fat complex or anything :)
Have a great week!
I'm off to do more homework (my Oral Defense for my Masters is Friday at 1, I could use your prayers!) and right after that, I am leaving for 11 days to the WARMTH of California!!! YEAH!

13 comments:
oh my gosh- that is so hilarious! I'd love an updated picture of your "enormous" belly- love you
Cute stories. My high school students kept on reminding me how large I was last year when I was pregnant. In fact one asked several times if I was having twins. For some reason though it's just not as funny when it's high school students.
I would suggest getting your bras at motherhood and trying on them to see which one is the most comfortable. I wore some dresses when I was nursing. They are a bigger pain but I made sure they had a zipper on the side or were stretchy in front.
I would tell the doctor next time you have an appointment that your feet are swelling really bad. They might have some suggestions. I had that problem but it was my whole body swelled alot one week and after that I was on strict sitting rest at school by my doctor. It wasn't anything serious he just said I am to active and am pregnant and can't be jumping around like I was. I didn't have to tell him I was an active teacher, he figured it out on his own.
hehe kids are WAY too honest sometimes, huh? lol.
I never found a nursing bra that I really liked, all the snaps were annoying. I used a sports bra, not one that flattened me though.
It's impossible to nurse in a dress unless the top part pulls down easily.
I get swollen feet/hands too...the only thing that worked for me was to put my feet up...It's one of those glamorous things about pregnancy. ;D
HA ha ha kids are too funny!! The one that Kaci said just really tickled my funny bone!! I personally think you look very cute and pregnant! It almost makes me jealous of how cute you are! SO jealous of your trip!! But i'm very glad you get to go on a nice warm vacay before that little baby is born! That'll be so nice! I can't wait to hear all about it!! Love you!!
To nurse with a dress I wear a skirt or halfslip underneath then I can hike up the dress as I would a shirt without being scandalous.
Compression hose(like people wear for varicose veins) will help with swelling but they aren't terribly comfortable. I wore knee high nylons(maybe they we dress socks?) & they helped with the swelling.
Drinking more water helps to "flush" the extra fluid--I know that means more trips to the ladies room and very hard to do while at school. Try it on the weekends and see if it helps.
Hey Courtney, you are so cute getting so much input and doing homework and preparing so much. You are definitely way ahead of me when I had my first baby. One thing I would suggest getting for baby is Calmoseptine diaper rash ointment. It is the best. Waaaaayyyy better than desitin. Many stores keep it behind the pharmacy desk so you have to ask for it though it's not a prescription. Another secret for diaper rash is using a little bit of Maalox on their bum. It neutralizes the acid in their poop. I know...who knew.
As for the nursing bra, Nordstrom has the best and they will fit you for the best for your shape. I never nursed in a dress, so no advice there. Sorry!
Nursing Bra's: Advice; Go to a good store with a "Bra Lady" who specializes in fitting bras. Don't try to buy one yourself. You are going to get enormous a few days after having the baby, so I suggest only buying one before you have the baby - just go in and have "the lady" help you find something that is supportive and comefortable... although when you are ginormous, nothing is really comfortable. People might say do not get an underwire bra, but depending on how big you are and how perky you still are (hahaha, that sounds funny) an underwire may be the only thing that keeps you up there. (Man, I really hope the whole Crook Family doesn't read this). I had people tell me underwire bras will stop the milk supply, but I've worn them for all 5 babies, nursed them all for a year and I have had plenty of milk. I have only had mastitis once - oh, and if you do get that, here's advice you haven't asked for: Get a cabbage, take a leaf and warm it up in the microwave and put it on your swollen owie breast, then put a heating pad on that. There is something in the cabbage that helps get rid of the swelling and the infection. It is magic.
Back to the bras... yeah, so just wait until after you have the baby to decide. They are expensive little things!! Penny's is where I go and they usually have some sort of deal. Just get what is comfortable.
I have never been able to nurse with a dress unless it is a button up front, and then you still are exposed to half the world, but hey, if you nurse in the nursing room at church, the ladies there have all seen boobs before, so it can't be that shocking of an experience for them, right? You can try the hooter hiders, but I think they are a pain in the rear and my babies hated them too. I just wear lots of skirts and blouses, it's easy to pull the blouse up and nurse without exposing much.
Good luck!!
Nursing Bra's: Advice; Go to a good store with a "Bra Lady" who specializes in fitting bras. Don't try to buy one yourself. You are going to get enormous a few days after having the baby, so I suggest only buying one before you have the baby - just go in and have "the lady" help you find something that is supportive and comefortable... although when you are ginormous, nothing is really comfortable. People might say do not get an underwire bra, but depending on how big you are and how perky you still are (hahaha, that sounds funny) an underwire may be the only thing that keeps you up there. (Man, I really hope the whole Crook Family doesn't read this). I had people tell me underwire bras will stop the milk supply, but I've worn them for all 5 babies, nursed them all for a year and I have had plenty of milk. I have only had mastitis once - oh, and if you do get that, here's advice you haven't asked for: Get a cabbage, take a leaf and warm it up in the microwave and put it on your swollen owie breast, then put a heating pad on that. There is something in the cabbage that helps get rid of the swelling and the infection. It is magic.
Back to the bras... yeah, so just wait until after you have the baby to decide. They are expensive little things!! Penny's is where I go and they usually have some sort of deal. Just get what is comfortable.
I have never been able to nurse with a dress unless it is a button up front, and then you still are exposed to half the world, but hey, if you nurse in the nursing room at church, the ladies there have all seen boobs before, so it can't be that shocking of an experience for them, right? You can try the hooter hiders, but I think they are a pain in the rear and my babies hated them too. I just wear lots of skirts and blouses, it's easy to pull the blouse up and nurse without exposing much.
Good luck!!
I thought my advice was so good, I sent it to you twice. :) Sorry about that.
Ah, nursing bras...I really love the Medela brand. I have a "sleep bra," their underwire, and one without an underwire. I really love both types. I tried the reusable nursing pads, but those get all bunchy and make your boobs looks wrinkly. Lansinoh and Johnson's have the best breast pads ever. Yah, NO dresses. Bummer. I can manage the overlapping dresses (sort of like the long dress you wear) because you can arrange the undershirt easily. I once wore a dress to church when Amelia was tiny...yah, interesting! Story includes bathroom stall, stripping, and nursing. Not fun. Like Carla said, wait until after the baby comes a week or so to get a really great bra. It takes your breasts that long to acclimate. Get a cheapy one for the first couple weeks. Also, I HATE the nursing garments. It is hard to wear my non-nursing clothes with them. They fit sorta funny.
I just buy whatever nursing bras are comfy and on sale at Target. In fact, I bought a couple of padded nursing bras and wore them the last few weeks of my pregnancy and they still fit great. When your milk comes in you'll be ginormous and miserable for a few days and nothing will fit so don't worry. I personally found underwire bras to be uncomfortable.
Dresses while nursing? I never had much success. It was too cumbersome. The only style I had minimal success with was a wrap-around dress that tied on the side. I just wore a shirt or tank top and a half slip underneath so I felt somewhat covered while nursing. In reality, I was basically wearing a dress over a skirt and top so it's just easier to stick with that if you can.
And swelling? Drink TONS of water. I know that sounds weird but your swelling is in part caused by your body retaining fluids so drinking more than you think you need helps. Also, just keep putting your feet up. You're adorable! Best of luck!
Post a Comment