So...I've been trying to do some homework about some baby stuff, but when it comes down to it, all the research and reviews are full of it, how do I know who I can trust??? SO, I'm asking you... those of you with a wealth of knowledge, please tell me...
What diapers do you prefer? I hear Pampers swaddlers are good for newborns, but not good for older, I hear huggies are good, I hear lots of things, but do you get what you pay for? Are huggies the ultimate poop soaking dry bum keepers, or does it matter? What about Costco's Kirkland brand? And what about store brands like Target and Walmart? Any bad experiences? Exceptionally good ones??? I'm super thrifty as you know, and I don't want to spend money on something I don't need, but I also don't want to waste money buying junk that I get frustrated with...so tell me, what are your preferred diaper brands?Same for Wipes...one's to stay away from? Are they all created equal???
What about bottles and nipples? My SIL loves and swears by hers- the kind you insert the plastic baggie thing into because you don't have to clean out the bottle-just the nipple, you can squeeze out the air bubbles, and the baby doesn't have to tip the thing totally upside down to get milk. (BTW, I am going to Nurse, but you know later on when bottles are needed or if I need to pump etc...) BUT my other SIL swears by hers that are "Advent" I think... What do YOU swear by?
Next: swaddlers and burpies...how many should you have? I mean how many burp cloths do you go through, how often do you do laundry? What about bibs?
Do your babies wear socks?
Shoes?
Do you have an awesome monitor? Is the expensive one worth it?
Same with the car seat, do you prefer one kind of handle to another?
Do you do the sling, the baby Bjorn, the mobi wrap or what???
What kind of diaper bag do you use? Is it a "diaper bag" or a snazzy bag you keep diapers in? How big is it?
What do you keep in your diaper bag, I mean beside the obvious, what might I forget to put in that I would be real glad I had???
What did you think you NEEDED before your baby came, but turns out you didn't?
What do you wish you had from day one, but didn't?
What ELSE??? I am counting on you, let me glean your very best advice on these things! I know I'll have more questions, but this is all I can think of right now...DON't LET ME DOWN!!! :)
Thanks guys!

31 comments:
see my email!
I've always used the Kirkland brand diapers and wipes. Love them. Also, I really like the Advent bottles. As for diaper bags, I just use the one they give me in the hospital. Unless you want to get fancy, it works just as well as any.
~Lynette
Obviously I fostered newborn twins so my experience is different. You saw my product reviews so you already know my opinion about some of your questions.
1. Diapers. We liked pampers and huggies for Newborn size. WE did a month of preemie size, and used pampers and huggies interchangeably. I HATE parents choice. It gave the girls diaper rash and didn't seem to be as absorbent (but you use what people give you right?). We prefer huggies over Kirkland but we seem to be in the minority about that. For toddlers we use Kirkland but for babies we use huggies. Weird huh. I really want to do cloth diapers but Jason isn't on board.
2. Wipes. I've used everything out there. for tiny baby's I like a thinner wipe. It's easier to clean their tiny bums. But the goo is hard to get off and you may go through more wipes. The girls came with a pack of refills in green packaging that I liked. After those first weeks we like Kirkland but I don't know if that's because of the product or because we buy our diapers at Costco and it's just convenient.
3. Bottles are a trial and error thing. It's different for each baby. Most people love the Advent bottles but our babies didn't like them and they are expensive! WE like the soothie bottles but our babies weren't breast fed. Good luck!
4. Love swadlers. We had 2 per girl. One fleece and one cotton. Love Love Love them.
5. You can't have too many burp rags. Our girls didn't spit up often (like never) but they did dribble when they ate. It was nice to have one all the time. Some in the diaper bag, in the front room, in the bedroom. for our 2 girls we had about 15. I'd say no less than 10.
6. So I hate socks. They caused a major incident that caused us a trip to Insta Care. The girls are 3 months and I just started putting socks on them again. Baby's do need to have thier temp regulated though and that's what socks help with. I liked sleep and plays for the first month (of course that's all we could find in preemie size). The girls were also always swaddled. whatever you choose keep an eye on their hands and feet to make sure he's warm.
7. I wanted shoes but gosh darn it they are so expensive. There are some cute tutorials for fabric/leather shoes that I will make next time we have an infant around.
8. We borrowed a monitor but never used it.
9. Hated the car seats we had. But you saw that post
10. I'm interested what people recommend for sling. I wish I had one. Most people I know swear by Mobi.
11. I like to be organized in my diaper bags and I like to have one all the way up to toddler. I've had many. (for a woman with out children that's interesting huh?) For Garrison I had a small $10 one that was fine. BUT I'm a ”be prepared for anything” parent and it was often stuffed the brim with extra shoes, socks, jackets. With the girls I just went for big.
12. My diaper bag must haves. 1 diaper for every hour you'll be out, wipes, an extra blanket, change of clothes (that can be used on a warm day or a cool one), extra onesie, passi. Things I kept in my diaper bag starting at 6 weeks, rattles, toy with soft mirror ext.
13. I had 2 days to prep for the twins and I know there are things I wish I had had but the big things were in place. A swing, diapers, wipes, clothes, a bassinet, and bottles. I was still out a lot but mostly because I loved to shop for them.
I couldn’t figure out how to bathe my girls. I wish I’d had the yellow foam bath mat sooner. But I was also not comfortable showering with someone else’s babies. (I’m sure their mom appreciates that). I also had a baby bin in each room we spent time in. I just used a Rubbermaid dish bin and stocked it with butt paste, wipes, diapers, burp rags, lotion, ext. Anything you used often and wanted at hand.
Baby stuff is so personal. Each kid is different and each parent does things their own way. You’re going to do GREAT!
I haven't used Kirkland diapers, but the wipes are great. From what I've learned Pampers diapers are better for skinny babies, but since mine was a chunker, Huggies worked better for her. I think because the Huggies are curved around the thighs they leak more with skinny babies, but work when they've got a lot of meat on their bones. The Walmart diapers are about 50/50, sometimes you get good ones, sometimes they leak every diaper, which is a pain. With Ava I just got a cute bag and used that for a diaper bag, but this go around I want to get one that's made to be a diaper bag, there are so many more pockets and they fit a lot more stuff. Oh, and my friend has a Soothie bottle that she loves, it has the same nipple as the Soothie pacifier so no confusion there. The problem with bottles with the bags is that you have to keep buying the bags, you can get a special rack for the dishwasher for bottles so that you don't have to handwash every piece individually, which is awesome. Sorry, this comment is really long, hopefully it's helpful.
Court, I don't know anything about this stuff. But I'm really excited for you to figure it out so you can help me someday :)
Also, I love the thing on your page that says how big baby is. Such a great visual!!! 25 weeks already?!!!! So awesome!!!
I'll try to be concise:
1.Diapers. I think you get what you pay for. I'll agree, you're literally using them for poop and such, and throwing them away, but it's better to throw it away then wipe it up, or wash 8,000 sets of clothes daily. Huggies are our fave.
2.Wipes. I don't think it matters. Unscented is always good, just incase baby gets a diaper rash...he'll be happier without the perfume stinging his b-hind.
3.Bottles. Hate hate hate Avent. They leak terrible. Love the basic Gerber. Basic, like the ones our moms used...like $2 for a 3-pack (I think)? Less air, and less spitup.
4. Swaddling blankets. Never used them, but I have two boys that HATED being swaddled; they just wanted to cuddle with Me, not a blanket. And at bedtime, they always stretched out as big as thy could, so pointless to swaddle them.
5. Burp Rags. Keep 'em coming. You might have a baby that doesn't spit up, and you might have one that launches. Better to err on the safe side. Easy to make too!
6. Shoes. Not necessary until they walk, but for Eli they were necessary in the winter...it was the only way I could keep his socks on when we went places.
7. Monitors. Received a Very nice one for our shower...broke within a month. Bought a $20 cheapie, and have had it for 4 years. Love it for travel. You can still stay up and visit with the adults, and know that you can still hear baby.
8. Slings. I would say absolutely not, cause they add a lot of strain to your back (I threw my back out when Nate was 1 week old). Still trying to recover almost 4 years later.
9. Diaper bags are very personal. I'm sure you can simply make one to fit your preferences, and it would be fabulous, and one-of-a-kind too!
10. I keep 2 extra diapers, wipes, burp rag, formula (for 1 or 2 bottles) and a onesie in the car at All Times...it has saved me on more than one occasion. Just put it in the pocket behind the seat, or keep in a ziploc in the trunk.
13. We got a dresser/changing table combo...thought I would use the changing table....yeah, not really. Wasted space.
14. Swear by Gripe Water. (www.babysbliss.com) You have to get this specific kind though...all the others require refrigeration...you can take this with you anywhere! All natural, and works better than gas drops. Plus it tastes good...Nate pretends he has a tummy ache just to get some. Worth every single penney. I always put it in my baby shower gifts now.
oops!
you can get gripe water at walgreens...no need to order online.
Hi Courtenay!
here's my 2-cents...
we use cloth diapers. bumGenius - they are amazing. when the baby is tiny i used just regular prefold cloth diapers with "plastic pants" covers... it saves us lots of money and i never have problems with diaper rash!
wipes: i like huggies wipes or costco wipes, i just don't really like the target up & up brand
bottles: we have never used bottles - gotta love that God gave me the equipment to feed!
we've not had much swaddling luck ... but burp cloths are pretty important to have around - maybe a dozen
socks: when they are tiny I prefer the outfits with feet built in :) then after that yes, sox are good
shoes: we don't really use shoes until its time to walk outside
sling: i swear by my "peanut shell" sling - its awesome
diaper bag: we got like 10 diaper bags as shower gifts the first time around... :)
I keep a change of shirt for myself in my diaper bag along with the baby stuff - because with leaky nipples or a blowout (from either end of baby) - sometimes mommy needs a clean outfit too!
also - a "nose bulb" because when my baby can't breathe because of boogers its super-frustrating
one thing i forgot to bring to the hospital the first time was lansinoh (nipple cream for nursing) - ohh that stuff helped with cracked/bleeding nipple fun that nursing brings along with it :)
it stands true: all you really need is love (and its super-helpful to have a supportive husband - and 30 meals frozen in your freezer!)
-- sarina
Ok, I haven't even finished reading your post but I wanted to comment about diapers and wipes....
I really like Pampers Swaddlers for newborns and then normal Pampers for when Ethan was a little older (but still only a few months old). Then we switched to LUVS!! I think the absolute best value for your money. They absorb well, they're cheaper than Pampers or Huggies AND most have a nice little baby powderish scent. Plus, I have priced LUVS at Walmart several time against the BIG-box-o-Kirkland-diapers and LUVS always came out on top. Oh, we did use the Huggies overnight diapers once Ethan was a toddler, sleeping through the night and soaking through every night - they could hold a TON (and very absorbant)! Also good for long road trips - but I would only use these once he's older.
For wipes - hands down Pampers SENSITIVE wipes. We still use them for Ethan. Not only do they sting MUCH less if your babe has a sore bum, but they actually wipe away poo (even if it's dried on a little) much better than any generic wipe I ever tried. And you can buy them in bulk at Walmart - I think 7 packs in a box.
Oh, and we liked the Avent bottles too.
Hope this helps!! :)
Bare with me...
-Diapers...we tried Huggies but anytime he pooped it would ooze out the top. So we went with Pampers and we never once had a blowout with them. Granted pee kind of seaps through pampers if you wait too long to change it, but I'd rather have seaped through pee than poo.
-With the wipes we tried Sam's club brand and huggies and they were both kind of rough to the touch and they ripped a little easier so we went with Pampers and they are super soft and durable!
-Bottle...I tried the kind with the removable bags and I really liked them for a while but then, for some reason, the bags would slip out while he was eating and it would make a BIG mess. So we tried the Playtex Ventair ones and I like those until it started leaking out of the bottom. We finally settled on Dr. Brown's bottles. They sucked to clean because there were so many parts but they really seemed to help with the spit up and gas bubbles issue, plus when I got sick of cleaning all of the parts I just started putting on the normal nipples and it still worked GREAT, so they are very transitional.
-As far as things I love and things I never used...I LOVED my bottle warmer! I also love my diaper genie! I really wanted a wipie warmer and thought that it was a must have! But when it came down to it we NEVER used it.
-I would say go BIG for your diaper bag, because as the time goes on you are just putting more and more in them! I LOVE my diaper disposable bags that I keep in my diaper bag because when there is a poopy diaper its awful having to throw it away in a public restroom where its just going to bake in its grossness, I bought them at Target but I was in the $ store and found some there and they work just as good. Oh you'll want to get vaseline instead of Desitin. My pediatrician told me once that Vaseline will take diaper rashes away faster than any of the diaper rash creams (except maybe Butt Paste) It really helped!
-I am a BIG TIME swaddler! Boston was such a good sleeper! We tried not swaddling him for a couple of days and those weren't fun nights! We used the Baby Burrito Swaddler. We saw them at The Baby Show at The Expo Center and we bought one. You can look them up online. I am a big fan of these blankets! You definitely have to watch the DVD it comes with, it may be boring but it is super informational! I LOVE swaddling! Boston is a sweaty sleeper though and they are kind of thick blankets so we went to Sassy Baby at Gardner Village and they had 'Swaddle Designs' blankets there that worked PERFECT for swaddling! They were thinner and got us through the warmer nights. You, being the super crafty person that you are, could probably make these yourself! The trick is the flannel fabric...it holds in place better than anything else.
-You'll want a TON of burp rags! We went through burp rags like crazy! I hardly ever used bibs. Now that he is older though I would rather tie a rag around his neck than use a bib because it covers more of him and keeps him cleaner.
-I wasn't too big on socks because I love baby toes! But my mother-in-law was convinced that his toes would freeze if he didn't have socks on, so we used them to keep the peace :)
-I am a sucker for baby shoes.
-We got the Safety First monitors and they never worked...and honestly us new mom's have such an ear for our baby's cry!
-We got a travel system at one of our baby showers and the carseat was fine but the stroller was horrible it was the most difficult thing to push! So we went to Target and took the display strollers down and pushed every one of them and settled on the Eddie Bauer. It was definitely a splurge but it was WELL worth it! I loved that purchase.
-I never used a sling but Cari swears by them.
-His swing was a lifesavor when I needed to get things done. We got the one that would swing side to side and front to back and I'm glad we did. He hated swinging front to back (still does) but the side to side swinging would put him to sleep everytime!
You'll be a GREAT mom!
*lol* I had to cut a TON of stuff out of my comment above because I typed too much!
Seriously though Court, you'll be GREAT!
I used swaddlers when Kayli was a newby but now we LOVE Luv's. I have tried the more expensive ones but we always go back to Luvs. They are great!
What Erica said is so true though. . . Every Mom/Baby is different and you will figure out quickly what works for you guys. Don't sweat it.
This might be a phone conversations...call me anytime and we'll chat baby stuff, I love it!!
Wow this is going to be long. Let me first say that EVERY kid is different what works for one may not work for another, even if they are you own. With that in mind here are my suggestions/preferences...
Diapers-We use Walmarts Parent Choice. A lot of people don't like them but they have worked GREAT for us. When my kids are newborns I LOVE pampers swaddlers, but this time I couldn't afford them so we used parent's choice and they worked just fine.
Wipes-we go for the cheapest. It doesn't seem to make a difference but we tend to stay away from scented.
Bottles-I've nursed all 3 kids but have also had to pump for all three. I use the drop-in bottles. I really like them because they are easy to clean and I usually freeze my milk in ice cube trays (one cube is about an ounce). The drop-ins let me just drop in a few cubes whenever I need.
I've never used a swaddler. I was taught a super duper way to swaddle and have never needed to use anything else. I made a video tutorial for my SIL when she had her baby here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_pPtbguHUA
Burp cloths we just use cloth diapers.
Socks and shoes- I don't think any of my boys have worn either until they were big enough to keep them on. They are just a hassle and I don't see the point when they are just falling off all the time. As long as they were wrapped up they were fine.
We had a monitor with our first but didn't use it very often. Our apartments have always been small enough that there really wasn't much point.
Carseats- we have a graco I think and it's worked fine for us. I kind of wish it had the over the head seat belt though so I didn't have to pull their arms in and out every time and wake them up.
I have a front carrier that I really don't like. I think it's from Walmart. It hurts my back. I've heard AMAZING things about the Mobi though and REALLY want to try one. If you do some searching you could probably find a pattern or how to online on how to make your own.
Diaper Bag- We've used the ones the dr. office and hospital gave us. This time we didn't get one so I just use a simple Tote. I keep it SUPER simple and keep a couple diapers, wipes and a spare onesie. When they are little you don't need much. And they can survive in a onesie until you can get something else for them to wear. OH and spare pacifiers!!! They are ALWAYS loosing those things.
The baby item we have used the most is our baby swing. LIFE SAVER. I think each of my boys have slept in it for the first 3 months of their lives. We've used it so much it barely works now. I would have died with out one. I would recommend you get a plug in one though/. You'll go through a TON of batteries otherwise.
I also got a co-sleeper for my second boy and it was REALLY nice since it's just right next to the bed and you just roll over nurse and roll back.
Also when I first started nursing I LOVED LOVED LOVED the soothie gel pad. You can get them at Walgreens. They are just a gel pad that you put on after nursing. I would put mine in the fridge while I nursed then put them on when I was done. COLD COLD COLD but it felt SOOOOOOOO good. They were also a major life saver since nursing was a lot more painful then I ever imagined. :)
I think that's it for now. If you need ANYTHING or have questions just email me. mollylsimmons@gmail.com
You’ll have to figure out for yourself & your child what works best for you. One thing I learned quickly is EVERYONE swears their way is the best way. Sometimes it is, sometimes it wasn’t for me.
Can’t vouch for brands of diapers. I use cloth, which I totally swear by ;) If that is something you would be interested in I’ll tell you all about it.
For bottles I got Playtex VentAire wide bottles as they fit onto my Playtex breastpump. I didn’t like the idea of the ones with the bags because it seemed so wasteful. I’d rather wash the bottles. These bottles worked very well for Juliet. They vent the air in through the bottom of the bottle so the baby is supposed to swallow less air. Also they don’t leak around the nipple like some bottles do. They will leak from the bottom seal though if you don’t wash the seal in very hot water before putting the bottle back together. I was very happy with the pump($70 @ Walmart). It is quick & comfortable & not nearly as expensive as the Pump in Style(which I hear is also good but costs like $280).
Couldn’t keep socks or shoes on Juliet’s feet. So she went barefoot until about a year old, not a big deal. Don’t get infant socks, they are impossible. Just go with regular baby/toddler socks-(the elastic is more functional). Infant shoes are a total waste of money, unless you just want to dress them up. There is no reason they need to wear shoes (socks work fine until they start walking), & shoes are expensive.
Don’t start buying things until after your baby shower. You’ll get tons of stuff that you won’t need to buy.
You can never have too many spit up rags. Seriously. I think I bought 50. Gerber prefolds(found at Target & Wal-Mart) are cheap & absorbent & you can attach ribbons or pretty cloth to “bedazzle” them from their plain whiteness). No need to spend extra money on already cute-i-fied burpies when you are so creative yourself.
We found that not using the baby monitor was best. Because then you will only hear them when they actually need you & not for every little noise they make. Really helps with the teaching them to sleep during the night. We got the simple “safety first” $22 monitor from Walmart to use at first & it worked great. You don’t need an expensive one unless you want it. (You might get one from your shower too)
We were very happy with our Graco careseat. 5-point harness is important, but I think they are all made like that now. Lightweight is important too. I intended to NOT pack her around in the carseat, but they fall asleep & you can just take then out into house or store without waking them. But man, they can be so heavy to lug around so I’d choose the lightest model you can get.
I loved the baby Bjorn, wish I would have got it when she was smaller. I also made a sling which I liked it as very well(used it even more than the Bjorn), can still use it actually.
You might wait until you have the baby before selecting a diaper bag (just use a backpack or duffle for the hospital). I bought several diaper bags before I figured out just how I wanted it & what I needed. It’s hard to know before having a baby what will be important to you in a diaper bag. I ended up just using a Columbia messenger bag for my diaper bag/purse. One thing I discovered was important for me was that it closes on the top somehow. I did not like having an open one. And one that has a good place for your purse stuff as well(to avoid carrying a diaper bag AND a purse). Also you will find at first that you take way too much stuff with you, & so will need a bigger bag. But as you find out what you really need & what can stay behind, you will probably trim it down & may find a smaller bag more useful.
I always bring 1 or 2 extra diapers, small thing of wipes(you don’t need the whole package), a plastic bag(for dirty diapers or soiled clothes). A change of outfit, 2 burp clothes, binkie, camera, a toy or two. But when I first went back to work I was carrying 4 big bags of stuff each day! I laugh at myself now :)
SO many things I bought or thought I NEEDED before baby. But really didn’t. You might wait until you have baby before buying tons of stuff. Like a baby bath- takes up space & you don’t need it-just use the sink. Bassinet is totally unnecessary-just use the crib! Baby monitor-I can hear her without it(you’d be surprised how keen your mother senses become). Infant socks & shoes –total waste of money. Receiving blankets-didn’t use them much, preferred regular blankets. Sleeping wedge-unnecessary, just use blankets. Crib mobile- not used enough to justify the cost. Infant outfits- honestly I kept her in sleepers for the first couple months, much easier for diaper changing & then you don’t have to worry about using socks, no point in spending money on cute outfits that no one will see as they are wrapped up in a blanket. Changing table-I always change Juliet on our bed or the floor (since we didn’t have a lot of space), you really don’t need one unless you want it. Lots of baby entertaining devices, exersaucer, swings etc.-they take up a lot of space & won’t get used much. Same with a Playpen just takes up space. These were just my personal observations on frivolity. But remember, this is YOUR baby, so you should get anything you feel is important & don’t feel pressured by others to do it their way. Trust your instincts.
Some things we were very happy with: I really liked our Boppy swing, I think it was a portable variety because it was compact & folded up, Juliet loved it. A Graco doorway bouncer was a much used purchase, Juliet loved that thing & the tray made it nice for putting cheerios for her to eat. We had a vibrating chair too(Fisher Price?) that was much used, & didn’t take up tons of space.
Get a boppy type pillow if you are nursing, they are very handy also for baby positioning. Don’t pay $20 for a cover though; you can totally make your own easily that will be much cuter & cheaper. I made my covers out of minky materiel so they we so nice & soft for baby. Bumbo seats are also great when baby can support his head. Craigslist is a great place to get baby items on the cheap. Second hand baby stores charge WAY too much.
Getting things that are gender neutral are good so you don’t end up rebuying things that could have been reused for your next baby if she is a girl.
Ask around at church for hand-me-downs. They are very available & will save you tons of money. I haven’t had to buy any clothes for Juliet yet. We got hand me downs of other things too: crib, high chair etc. If you don’t mind used things you will find that having a baby doesn’t cost much at all. Well except for the hospital bill, geez!
Good luck Courtenay! You’ll be such a good mom!
Sorry this was long.
sorry, one more thing. bibs are a must have but are actually not too cheap. you can totally make your own & they will be way cute. I made a bunch for Juliet out of towels(very absorbent)
ok I'm done now :)
Okay, this may be long...who am I kidding? Grab a bowl of popcorn, girl, you're gonna be here awhile! :o)
Diapers - Pampers Swaddlers when they're newborn, Huggies when they're a baby, Kirkland when they're a toddler (although Kirkland has gotten better and may work for the baby stage now.) If you start having problems with leaks when you didn't before, it usually means it's time go up a size. Watch for the Costco coupons on Huggies and Kirkland.
Wipes - pretty much anything. We usually get either the Huggies wipes or Kirkland wipes because of the Costco coupons.
Bottles - When I do use bottles I use Avent. I use the manual Avent breast pump, too (which I LOVE). Every baby is different though so this is usually trial and error.
Burp rags - I have around 15 or so of these. I bought regular cloth diapers and then bought really cute flannel material to sew onto the back to dress them up. I posted them on my blog somewhere if you want to see.
Bibs - Wish I had more of these right now! I think I have about 15 or so. Every baby is different though. Olivia drools a lot whereas the other kids didn't. Also, keep in mind, some bibs are just one layer of thin fabric (pretty pointless). Other's have two layers or even a water-proof layer inbetween two layers. Opt for the more absobent kind or make your own.
Socks - Ugh. You'll lose a lot of these. I only use them if it's cold and their feet will be exposed, otherwise, forget them, or buy the kind for older babies. Newborn socks tend to fall off a lot.
Shoes - Don't bother. They don't need them and most aren't comfortable for those little chubby feet. The only ones I do recommend are Robeez. They're great, even when your baby starts walking. Target makes a generic version which work just as great since Robeez can get spendy.
Moniter - We used a Fisher Price one for Shailey and it's still working great today.
Car seat - I will only use Graco infant car seats. When you move on to a bigger car seat down the road, just shop around to find one you like.
Sling or Bjorn - We have both (they were hand-me-downs) and they can be a real lifesaver. I never used the sling until Olivia and I find I'm liking it more than the Bjorn but this is a personal preference. See if you can borrow one to try out before you buy since they can be spendy.
Diaper bag - It's not a real diaper bag, just a regular one I liked. It's definitely not small but I wouldn't say it's huge either. Besides the essentials (wipes, ointment and diapers) I always keep an extra little blanket, change of clothes, nail clippers (I like the scissor kind), toys and burp rag. I also keep snacks in there for me since nursing makes me hungry all the time. You'll find yourself adding more things as you go!
The one thing that I couldn't live without is my nursing cape. I didn't have it until this time around and it's been great! The last thing you need to worry about is exposing yourself to the world while you're trying to figure out breastfeeding. :o)
A lot of things just need to be figured out through trial and error. And what works for some babies won't work for others (that includes future kids!) Good luck! You'll do great!
hey Court! I did post a pic, here:
http://theadventuresofroryandjess.blogspot.com/2010/03/excuse-lateness.html
24 weeks! :D
I will try to make this short and easy to read.
1. I really like huggies. My children are allergic to the offbrands. Something to do with the absorbing factor and pampers just aren't as stretchy to conform to them. The other thing about offbrands is they get big fast because of moisture and they start to feel moist on the outside.
2. Wipes. I liked huggies becuase they are thicker and clean up the mess quick with less wipe. I used pamper wipes and they were to thin. I seemed to use more because of that
3. Bottles are trial and error.
4.Blankets are blankets to me
5. Burp cloths. I liek having about 7 one for each day for snot, spit up, drool etc.
6. Socks are really good to have for when they are really little. Make sure you get nice tight ones or they will fall off. When they get around 6 months stop the stupid socks because they just pull them off. You loose more than you have somehow.
7. Shoes are cute but not practical when they are a baby. Make sure they are soft soled and that they don't wear them all the time if they do wear them. I admit I have some but they aren't on very often and they fall off all the time anyway.
8. I never use my monitor.
9. i have had a graco carseat and a evenflo carseat. I like both for differant reasons, and they are both good carseats. I always make sure I get a carseat that goes with my stroller and will attach on to it becasue that is so convenient when they are asleep or really little.
10. I have a sling and a snuggli. I loved the sling for when she was tiny and the snuggli for a little older. They are pricy that's the only thing. I rarely used my snuggli because it's a pain to get on. I would go with a wrap thing because it is so much more flexible with the age and they are in fashion right now, and crafty you could make one.
11. I like cute diaper bags but that's me
12. I put everything in my diaper bag. Diapers, wipes, HAND SANITIZER, lotion, bottle, formula just in case, extra clothes, socks, blanket, burp cloth, LOTS of Binkis. My daycare loves the stash of binkis.
Must haves. I had to have a swing, pack and play and vibrating chair. If you get a breast pump don't go cheap. They don't work. I had a cheap one the first time and it took so long and was so tempermental, and then with Natalia I got a nice medela and it was half the time and so nice.
I also suggest go register and target and you get tons of coupons and then peopel can get you what you want.
In fact, register and infamil.com, huggies.com anything like that becuase you get free samples and tons of coupons. Life savers for us.
You are going to be such a cute mommy and you will do great. Love Ya!!
being an oregonian, you're probably eco-conscious--have you thought about gdiapers? they're a great, easy way to cloth diaper if you're interested.
email me if you want more info. limabeanhome@gmail.com
if cloth diapering scares you, no big deal. it's not as gross as it seems, but no pressure.
1. Diapers: Swaddlers for Newborn. Kirkland after that. I received a box of Costco's Huggies and as soon as my son 'went' in it they smell funny (not in a good way).
2. Wipes: I've always gotten the Huggies wipes with Aloe from costco, but beware that if you put them in a wipe warmer they get kind of slimey from the aloe.
3. Bottles: My son uses Nuk by Gerber and Advent. I prefer the advent because the top that comes with keeps the bottle from leaking in the diaper bag.
4. Swaddlers/Burpies: I never actually bought a swaddler for Cole, I just swaddled him in nursing blankets. I still swaddle him now, he definatly sleeps better when swaddled, so I totally recommend to start it right away. As for Burp cloths, use cloth diapers. They're absorbant for a reason. After cole grew out of his recieving blankets I started using those because they're bigger. I've only just started using bibs now that he's in a high chair.
5. Socks: YES!
6. Shoes: When Cole was born he had 6 pairs of shoes. (other people bought them). They're more of an accessory, not necessary. But they're cute, I will admit.
7. Monitor: We bought a cheapy, not very happy with it. Ours hums the louder you turn up the volume, and makes an annoying sound if your cell phone goes off near it.
8. Car Seat: Graco is our brand of choice. Best advise I got for shopping for carseats was.....think about the type of car that you have....the rear facing infant carseat lean back pretty far. I drive a corolla and when its in the back there's not much leg room for my passenger. As for handle, I generally carry the seat in the crook of my arm so handle doesn't matter in that case.
9. Someone bought me a sling, but it was too small. So pay attention to the size.
10. Diaper Bag: I use a fairly small diaper bag compared to some other mothers I know. I figure, the less room then you're only carrying the essentials. On SUPER short trips I'll throw a diaper and wipes in my purse.
11. Always take extra clothes. Not only for the baby but for you. At least an extra shirt (or keep it in the car). You'd hate to be at a store somewhere when the baby spits up on you and you have nothing to change into.
12. Needs: Everything. I thought I needed baby gates....obviously I didn't. =)
13. Day one: A diaper warmer. I didn't buy it originally because I thought it was just a luxery however my son freaked out everytime a cold wipe touched his tushy. The other MUST HAVE....is.... Cabbage Leaves. These are for your breasts when you milk comes in. No body ever talks about the breast part, but they get big...HUGE, and its very painful. Stick with it though and try the leaves. Sounds silly but they help.
Before I had Cole I was told that if I wanted to breast feed him to NOT give him a pacifier. Not true. It didn't make a difference at all!
My only other advise would be that bear thing (but I think I told you about that before)
Hope that's helpful! Can't wait to see him!
BTW: Any names yet????
1. Diapers: Swaddlers for Newborn. Kirkland after that. I received a box of Costco's Huggies and as soon as my son 'went' in it they smell funny (not in a good way).
2. Wipes: I've always gotten the Huggies wipes with Aloe from costco, but beware that if you put them in a wipe warmer they get kind of slimey from the aloe.
3. Bottles: My son uses Nuk by Gerber and Advent. I prefer the advent because the top that comes with keeps the bottle from leaking in the diaper bag.
4. Swaddlers/Burpies: I never actually bought a swaddler for Cole, I just swaddled him in nursing blankets. I still swaddle him now, he definatly sleeps better when swaddled, so I totally recommend to start it right away. As for Burp cloths, use cloth diapers. They're absorbant for a reason. After cole grew out of his recieving blankets I started using those because they're bigger. I've only just started using bibs now that he's in a high chair.
5. Socks: YES!
6. Shoes: When Cole was born he had 6 pairs of shoes. (other people bought them). They're more of an accessory, not necessary. But they're cute, I will admit.
7. Monitor: We bought a cheapy, not very happy with it. Ours hums the louder you turn up the volume, and makes an annoying sound if your cell phone goes off near it.
8. Car Seat: Graco is our brand of choice. Best advise I got for shopping for carseats was.....think about the type of car that you have....the rear facing infant carseat lean back pretty far. I drive a corolla and when its in the back there's not much leg room for my passenger. As for handle, I generally carry the seat in the crook of my arm so handle doesn't matter in that case.
9. Someone bought me a sling, but it was too small. So pay attention to the size.
10. Diaper Bag: I use a fairly small diaper bag compared to some other mothers I know. I figure, the less room then you're only carrying the essentials. On SUPER short trips I'll throw a diaper and wipes in my purse.
11. Always take extra clothes. Not only for the baby but for you. At least an extra shirt (or keep it in the car). You'd hate to be at a store somewhere when the baby spits up on you and you have nothing to change into.
12. Needs: Everything. I thought I needed baby gates....obviously I didn't. =)
13. Day one: A diaper warmer. I didn't buy it originally because I thought it was just a luxery however my son freaked out everytime a cold wipe touched his tushy. The other MUST HAVE....is.... Cabbage Leaves. These are for your breasts when you milk comes in. No body ever talks about the breast part, but they get big...HUGE, and its very painful. Stick with it though and try the leaves. Sounds silly but they help.
Before I had Cole I was told that if I wanted to breast feed him to NOT give him a pacifier. Not true. It didn't make a difference at all!
My only other advise would be that bear thing (but I think I told you about that before)
Hope that's helpful! Can't wait to see him!
BTW: Any names yet????
Cloth diapers are the way to go! We use fuzzibunz. LOVE THEM.
Isn't it such a pain in the butt to try and figure out what junk to buy? There's so much out there and who knows what you need and don't need until he's really here. And I hate to tell you, but they just keep making more cool stuff so you have to go through this everytime you have a baby! But since you asked, here's what I have to say:
LOVE Huggies Diapers.
LOVE Kirkland wipes.
LOVE the baby bjorn but never tried a sling.
LOVE buying tiny shoes, but it was such a waste of money. I hardly ever went to the trouble of getting them on those tiny feet and then they'd always just kick them off.
Wo Mamma, there are a million comments! I was all excited to read for myself, but I'll have to catch up later. I nannied last year so I have SOME advice. We only used Avent bottles and they never leaked and were just fine for us. Swaddling, it seems, completely depends on the baby. I totally believe in it, but I've heard of babies that just like to be "free" so who knows how yours will be. Socks ALWAYS FALL OFF And are the MOST annoying things!!! I HATED dealing with it. My cousin in law just had a baby and said she puts shoes on her newborn, merely to keep the socks on. I thought that was a great idea. Another cousin in law literally puts his one year old in tights, because he always takes his socks off, and that way, he can't. Hmm . . . what else? A friend of mine does cloth diapers and says she never has leak problems- EVER. I don't know if it's her brand or just the way they work, but disposables ALWAYS leak and it's the worst. 3 outfits a day on quite a regular basis. And you can NEVER NEVER NEVER have too many burp rags. I used so many, every single day. One spit up (and there's way more than one a day) soaks up quite a bit of the rag. So keep them EVERYWHERE and always on hand. I'm guessing most of it is trial and fail, unfortunately. You figure out what works for the both of you as you go. Even though you didn't ask, I say the biggest thing is having a schedule/routine to stick to will SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!!! Consider it. Good luck!
I think all your friends and family pretty much covered it!! The only thing I didn't see mentioned that is a MUST HAVE in the Crook Family is the book "On Becoming Babywise" by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam - it's like $5.00 at Walmart and will be the best money you spend on your baby. I got the tip from, I think it was Jan Lance - she got it when she had the twins, is what I heard. It helps you get on a good feed, awake, sleep cycle... my babies slept through the night at 6 -9 WEEKS using this method. Get it now and read it so you'll be ready to start off right when baby comes. I've heard that lots of the Crook cousins have used it and have had really good luck with it. Good luck!!
I am getting getting excited for you guys and miss seeing you guys!
Is it ok if I weigh in a bit. As for diapers, there's really not a lot of difference. I liked huggies with Ivy but have HATED them this go round. Just about every diaper I have used I like though, but I will say pampers swaddlers and cruisers are my favorite, but also the most expensive. But once I saved $40 on them!!! With a combination of them being on sale, a $10 gift card offered when you buy 2 boxes, a manufacturers coupon and a store coupon. I saved the receipt on the fridge I ws so proud. Socks, yes, but not in the summer. I hate seeing moms dressed perfectly and then seeing a baby without a onesie or socks I think that poor baby is freezing, except in the summer, they don't need the extra. I too liked the avent bottles, but with Zonie I am planning on nursing her long enough to go straight to a soft nipple sippy cup. I didn't use burp cloths with my girls, they didn't spit up. I thought I would need them and have tons and haven't really used them. Z spit up a little more than Ivy but not much. Z did drool a little more and sometimes I would put a bib on her. I never used a swaddler, just blankets. But I do love the sleep sacks. I have tons if you want to use them. I LOVE the boppy chairs and did not love the diaper genie, totally not worth is. My favorite two baby things were a black and white quilt someone gave me that from day both girls would lift their little heads to study this quilt and secondly my stroller! NUMBER ONE IMPORTANT purchase for me was the stroller. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE mine! I have a cute pattern for a sling if you want to use. I used it but learned it runs small so only used it for 2 weeks until Z got too big. I thought I'd really love and want one but I since have learned they are over rated. One thing I have done with both girls is make 90% of the baby food which I have loved. It's fresher and healthier and cheaper. I also HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend the book BABYWISE. It is the BEST, I LOVE this book. It's partially why I am not big on slings as well, but not the only reason. This book will change your life as a mom and will increase your confidence, get you in good routines and most importantly get you to a point early on when you and baby will get good sleep. Sorry my post was long, scatter-brainy, and jumpy.
K...advice
Pampers swaddlers for the early months, then Huggies for the later months. Don't go cheap on diapers you'll regret it. As for shoes, it is just for looks, but if they get used to as babies it is easier to get them to wear them when they are older. Socks, yes! You wants those toes warm. Wipes, I prefer the Huggies brand, they seems to wipoe off better and use less. We buy both our diapers and wipes at Costco, much better deal!
For burp rags you want the thick cloth diapers, they aren't pretty but they work the best. You can dress them up by adding a ribbon of faboric (two stripes) looks really cute!
Diaper bag is a MUST, sometimes you will want more than one and always have at least one spare outfit in it. In the earlier months 2-3 with lots of diapers, wipes and burp rags.
Monitor. I still use mine and love it. Got it at Babies R Us, was worth the buy. I asked them for the best and then we got it haven't had any problems.
You'll want some kind of a small bath for the babie in the beginning for about 3-4 months, then just do it in the bath. I used to put that small bath in there, it was easier. I hope all this advice helps.
Trust me you will figure most of it out on your own. Don't hesitate to ask, it is a learning experience. You'll do great!
After reading a couple posts I decided not to spend the next three hours making sure I wasn't going to repeat someone else. ;) I just wanted to add that we didn't get a "baby" rearview mirror until mira was six months and i have noooo idea why we waited so long. But we are way overkill nervous parents and were checking to make sure baby was breathing/mouth not covered by blankets/sun not in eyes/etc constantly so it was safer for us to be able to just glance in our rearview to see her.
Post a Comment