Okay so today at first recess my Principal comes into my room and asks if she can speak with
me...and I think oh crap, what did I do...I have a great relationship with my principal, but it was a funny feeling and I really felt like I was in trouble! So I follow her into her office, she shuts the doors, and asks "So tell me about your life, how are you?" Okay not a weird question, but weird if she brought me to her office just for this. SO I'm getting more and more nervous because she's not getting to the point, seriously we talked for like 20 minutes, and in the meantime the recess bell rings and I try to get away to pick up my class but she keeps talking! About nothing! But she's the principal, so I talk too. Finally she says lets go back into your room...we walk back and I am feeling as awkward as all get out...The door is closed and the room is dark, I open the door, and find all of my students and all of their parents screaming SURPRISE! Now, you know me, I start to cry right away as I look around, and see a huge sign saying "Mrs. Lance Thank You We Love you, We will miss you, Good luck, love your 2008 students and parents!"
Then my little Nathan takes my arm, and escorts me down a red carpet (Okay it was red butcher paper, but it was scattered with rose petals and it might as well have been the red carpet to the grammies or oscars or something!) and at the end is my big office chair with balloons. Then one of the dads gets everyone's attention and 2 girls come up and give me a sash that says "worlds greatest teacher"...you know just like the Prom Queen or Miss America! Then a little girl comes and crowns me with a real princess crown, super fancy cute. And you know I'm still crying...and then one by one, each student walks down the red carpet, and hands me a red rose, and gives me a huge hug...I'm absolutely weeping, and so are most of my students and all of the parents. Then the Dad that was there said some amazing things to me, and he was crying, and then he said if anyone wants to say anything go ahead...so parents were saying the kindest things, through lots of tears and smiles, and then my students started saying the sweetest kindest things that just melt my heart and make me proud to be a teacher. Then I said some things like what a blessing this class has been for me because they were there with me to celebrate my marriage to John, and then I told them that even though having John gone is the hardest thing in my life, that I knew I would be okay because I had them to come to everyday. They love me unconditionally, and of course I love them without limits or reservations. I am so blessed. So then there were treats of course, the best gluten free cookies I've had since being diagnosed with celiacs. SO so sweet, then there were gifts! It was like Christmas only more emotional, and unexpected! They gave me a beautiful leather journal, an address book, a big jewelry box, some pampered chef stuff, and the best gift of all, a scrapbook that they made with each of their pictures with a letter from each of them inside. I just barely read all the letters and there are still tears rolling down my cheeks and dropping onto the keyboard. I am so blessed! Lots of crying lots of hugs, it's so touching to see 8 year olds show so much emotion. I just feel so so blessed. Now picture me sitting at my desk at school in a very lonely empty and naked classroom, I'm wearing a black dress with a green sweater, and of course I haven't taken off my sash all day or my crown! I have mascara all over my face I can tell, and I have a crying headache, but I'm smiling because I am so blessed and grateful to be alive.
I just feel so blessed! I'll share pictures of the actual event when I get them....
Anyway, an emotional and wonderful day!


I wore the crown and Tiara all day, my kids were so proud, especially when we were in line or something, and another teacher complimented me on the sash or the crown, my kids just beamed! 

me...and I think oh crap, what did I do...I have a great relationship with my principal, but it was a funny feeling and I really felt like I was in trouble! So I follow her into her office, she shuts the doors, and asks "So tell me about your life, how are you?" Okay not a weird question, but weird if she brought me to her office just for this. SO I'm getting more and more nervous because she's not getting to the point, seriously we talked for like 20 minutes, and in the meantime the recess bell rings and I try to get away to pick up my class but she keeps talking! About nothing! But she's the principal, so I talk too. Finally she says lets go back into your room...we walk back and I am feeling as awkward as all get out...The door is closed and the room is dark, I open the door, and find all of my students and all of their parents screaming SURPRISE! Now, you know me, I start to cry right away as I look around, and see a huge sign saying "Mrs. Lance Thank You We Love you, We will miss you, Good luck, love your 2008 students and parents!"
Then my little Nathan takes my arm, and escorts me down a red carpet (Okay it was red butcher paper, but it was scattered with rose petals and it might as well have been the red carpet to the grammies or oscars or something!) and at the end is my big office chair with balloons. Then one of the dads gets everyone's attention and 2 girls come up and give me a sash that says "worlds greatest teacher"...you know just like the Prom Queen or Miss America! Then a little girl comes and crowns me with a real princess crown, super fancy cute. And you know I'm still crying...and then one by one, each student walks down the red carpet, and hands me a red rose, and gives me a huge hug...I'm absolutely weeping, and so are most of my students and all of the parents. Then the Dad that was there said some amazing things to me, and he was crying, and then he said if anyone wants to say anything go ahead...so parents were saying the kindest things, through lots of tears and smiles, and then my students started saying the sweetest kindest things that just melt my heart and make me proud to be a teacher. Then I said some things like what a blessing this class has been for me because they were there with me to celebrate my marriage to John, and then I told them that even though having John gone is the hardest thing in my life, that I knew I would be okay because I had them to come to everyday. They love me unconditionally, and of course I love them without limits or reservations. I am so blessed. So then there were treats of course, the best gluten free cookies I've had since being diagnosed with celiacs. SO so sweet, then there were gifts! It was like Christmas only more emotional, and unexpected! They gave me a beautiful leather journal, an address book, a big jewelry box, some pampered chef stuff, and the best gift of all, a scrapbook that they made with each of their pictures with a letter from each of them inside. I just barely read all the letters and there are still tears rolling down my cheeks and dropping onto the keyboard. I am so blessed! Lots of crying lots of hugs, it's so touching to see 8 year olds show so much emotion. I just feel so so blessed. Now picture me sitting at my desk at school in a very lonely empty and naked classroom, I'm wearing a black dress with a green sweater, and of course I haven't taken off my sash all day or my crown! I have mascara all over my face I can tell, and I have a crying headache, but I'm smiling because I am so blessed and grateful to be alive.
I just feel so blessed! I'll share pictures of the actual event when I get them....
Anyway, an emotional and wonderful day!
ALSO
I think I must be REALLY crazy, I had my students make puppets, write fairy tale scripts, and put on a puppet show for younger grades! It was so cool, they could choose any fairy tale story, and give it an original twist, for example we had one group do "Beauty and the Beanstalk" and another do "Snow White and the Seven Dorks" Another group did "Alice and the cheer-pigs in football land" (my my what imaginations and creativity we have!) Anyway I wish I had a shot of the puppet theater I made , it is so grand. It was a ball, the kids were so so proud! And the puppets turned out a trillion times cuter than I expected!
This is Shrek and Fiona, yep they're frogs, and the villian was Malifasnake (instead of Malificent) :)
The wicked witch and the big bad wolf
A Dwarf and Prince Charming :)
Here are Alice and the cheer-pigs...again, so creative!

11 comments:
It made me cry AGAIN!! Those puppets are so cute! Those kids are so lucky to have you for their teacher!
Love You and I am so proud of you!
Mom
Wow Court! I wish soo badly I could have seen this. You are changing the world-just like you've always wanted to. I have the best BASSF on the entire planet!
Love you!
Chel
Such a fun story to read, of course I was crying too after the first sentence. You are awesome and I'm not the slightest but surprised that they love and adore you so much and that you put so much into your class and give them the best possible.
Enjoy your Summer and keep blogging so we know what you are up to. Oh, send our love to John.
court this is so awesome!!! i was tearing up too when I read it! you are the world's greatest teacher, I know that!!! the reason I got so emotional when I was reading it is because I know that every word of it is true!!! I am a first hand witness of what an amazing person you are and those kids are so lucky to have you!!!
I LOVE the pictures and the puppets RULE!
love you!
Court, you are SUCH an amazing woman! I totally believe and can picture that story because you are such a loving pure person. I just wish I could sit in on one of your classes:) That is so sweet and such a good experience! I LOVED the creative puppets and their shows! That is so cute. I know that all of those kids are going to remember you for the rest of your life- I KNOW it! I love you!
I want to be in 3rd grade! With you as my teacher of course. Oh, I just remember how much i loved my third grade teacher (mrs. moore of course), so I can just imagine how much those kids love you. You are so amazing!
Cute puppets too! Make sure you keep blogging!
Love you!
Oh man...silly acts. I'm DYING over that one.
I love that Helene was part of the whole surprise. She is so cute! I can see why they love you so much. I know I do! I will miss you so much. Enjoy life court1
That is so awesome. Teachers are wonderful.
Also, I just found this great (and super easy) recipe for garbanzo cake. It is gluten free and made out of garbanzo beans. It tastes like spice cake. It is so yummy, my daughter couldn't get enough of it. Anyway, if you'd like the recipe just drop me a line at TiffSue383@hotmail.com . I also found a great recipe book that is gluten free and has a lot of baked good in it (I don't know what you have).
Sorry this is a little long and not entirely in response to your original blog.
Tiffany Ward (Austin)
Wow, that is amazing. I'm so happy for you. Talk about being a super studmuffin! Seriously, if I were in your class as a 3rd grader, I would not want a new teacher, and I wouldn't want 3rd grade to end....cuz I don't think it could get much better. It's amazing how much they put together....sheesh. What a wonderful memory to have forever. : )
Courtenay! How sweet! What a wonderful class of children and parents. I am so proud of you. Keep up the excellent work. You rock!
Ok- that is so amazing that they did that for you. That is proof of what an amazing teacher you are! And I love the puppets!
Post a Comment