Tuesday, October 21, 2008

How's this for amazing?!


Tonight I had an opportunity to go to the church building where the Jordan Branch meets. Elder Holland and Elder Steven Snow (Member of the seventy) were visiting and held a fireside for the branch, as well as another branch from a little up north. There was a reception at the beginning, a kind of munch and mingle type thing, and there were probably 50-75 people there. I looked for an opportunity to go and say hello to Elder Jeffrey R Holland and found it when Jeremy my bro-in-law found his way over, I followed his lead. Elder Holland and Elder Cook introduced themselves (like THEY needed to!) And I shook their hands, but then gave Elder Holland a HUG, Yep I did. It was brief but really cool...cool because being in the presence of a prophet is for lack of a better word, pretty cool. We chatted for a few minutes, and told him about John, and met his wife and sister Snow. Such righteous people can't help but rub off on you, you know? Okay so that's pretty cool...but just wait, it gets better. Way better.

So after chatting and mingling, we moved into the chapel, which is the size of a large relief society/multipurpose room. It was a chapel though, with a pulpit etc. So the branch president conducting the meeting announces that Elder Snow will speak followed by his Wife. They both gave really great messages, a very tender and string spirit was felt by everyone. Then in the printed program it says that after Elder and sister Snow, the speakers will be determined by Elder Holland...do you see where this is going? SO after the Cooks, the branch president announces that Sister Courtenay Lance and Brother (something, a 19 year old kid waiting for his mission call) will share their testimonies. SURPRISE!!! Wow, did I turn Red. What an honor right? Ever wondered what you would say if a prophet asked you to share your testimony? I'm glad I didn't have any notice though, or I would have been pretty nervous. I wasn't too nervous though, and just shared my simple testimony. Wow. It was so cool. Not my testimony really, just that I was asked to share it, of all the people there, I got a moment to share what I know. I know testimonies are strengthened in the bearing of them. After The kid and I spoke, then sister Holland followed by Elder Holland Spoke. He spoke about his dedication of Jordan 23 years ago, and how much the membership has grown since then. There are no proselyting missionaries in Jordan, but still the membership grows. I wish I knew every little thing he said, he did give us a blessing though. It was powerful.


What an experience! After the meeting was over I went over to them and Elder Holland gave me a small hug, but a kiss on the cheek. And hugs form the wives and from Elder Cook who all complimented me on my poise (I must have a pretty good poker face) and Elder Holland said how he was surprised at how calm and collected I was, and he thanked me for not being mad at him :) We chatted for another moment but there were tons of people waiting to talk to him (the group doubled in size for the fireside). I Will always treasure those few moments when I got speak with on a very personal level, a prophet of God. What a blessing.
Anyway, I just wanted to share that with you all...I so wish you all could have had this experience that has left me with such a desire to be a better person, and to feel the spirit tangibly more than I can remember feeling.

I'll post the email I sent my family tomorrow explaining my first impressions, flight info, etc... Love you all! Jordan is cool. And brown.

7 comments:

LeAnn said...

Wow Courtenay, that is just amazing. I am so proud of you and I can't think of anyone else who would do as good of a job as you to bring the Spirit even stronger to such an awesome meeting. Who would have thought you would have to fly so many hours from the SLC airport to have that wonderful experience in Jordan. I love you and am so proud of you!

Jenni said...

WHATTTTTTTT?!!!!!!!!! Ok, it's official... i 100% envy you!!! hahaha. court this is all so cool! I can already tell that I will never tire of hearing your adventures!!!! I'm so happy for you. you will be telling about that util the day you die and it's GREAT!

Chad and Jessica said...

Yay! He totally picked the right person, because you are amazing! That's so awesome that you got to talk so personally with him. Neato mosquito! I can't believe you're in Jordan. What?! Craziness....everything.....is just SOOOO cool, and you So deserve it all! : )

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

wow what an amazing experience! You are so lucky and blessed to have met- and talked to-some of the great men in the church! Thanks for sharing! You're awesome!

Danielle said...

Wow! That is so wonderful! I felt the spirit as I was reading! You are so righteous and bring light to everyone around you-I'm not surprised at all that you got picked! How wonderful.

Carol and Bruce said...

That is totally amazing and he is my favorite of all the general authorities so I'm very excited for you to have met him. I wouldn't have even had the nerve to go up to him though so good for you! Keep us posted.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

OH MY GOSH, that is so cool. Oh my gosh, isn't it amazing to think he was thinking, "who should speak," and he thought of you. That is so cool! He has had you in his head, in his thoughts, he knows you! That is so cool! I love you! And am so happy for you. It doesn't surprise me one bit that that happened to you.