Saturday, October 25, 2008

Interesting right?

Lots of interesting observations today...
Jordan is cool. Today it rained. We were planning on going to Wadi Mujib, but the rain sends deadly flash floods into the Wadi's (A Wadi is a dried up river bed, very deep like a gorge). Lane said that in Israel there was a guy rock repelling down a Wadi 60 miles from Israel. It started raining in Israel and the park rangers came running in to evacuate everyone, but this fellow didn't listen. A giant wall of water came rushing through the Wadi, high enough to reach the man, and swept him away. He drowned. Not be a downer, but that just illustrates how dangerous they can be when it rains. Bad news. It doesn't rain too much, Debbie says it's the first rain she's seen since she's been here since July. So we didn't get to go to Wadi Mujib. We did however go to World Exposition center where there were merchants representing every country I can think of on this side of the world, also including Canada, and there was an American food stand selling Hot Dogs. They had all kinds of beautiful things, French perfumes, Italian scarves, weavings, batik's, all kinds of clothing and decoration and Jewelry. SO fun! Some were selling cheese or canned meats etc, and there were lots of baskets and purses, all from Algeria to Tanzania, Sri Lanka, Egypt, just to name a few. It was like a fairgrounds sized warehouse building full of Tables and tables of just really beautiful things. And on my way out I did buy some Belgian chocolate...so SO worth it! Hazelnut. Dark Chocolate. Amazing. I know I know, I have been a little focused on chocolate...is that so wrong? Would you turn down world class chocolate? Yeah...me neither.

I also walked to a shopping strip like a block and a half away. Tons of barber shops, yummy fresh bread shops, fruit stands, and stores like 7-11 that carry a menagerie of different things. It's really hard for me to do, but here you can't look men in the eye. Women are fine, and they are beautiful and most wear scarves on their heads, with dramatic black eyeliner. But the men, if you so much as glance their way they take it as a very forward move, and an invitation. Gross. It's really hard not to want to smile at everyone and express the happiness that's inside of me, on the outside. It's like I'm in a play, or acting or something. When I step out onto the street, or out of the car I give myself a little pep talk...do NOT look at the men, do NOT look them in the eye. Keep your eyes down etc.

Everyone here dresses very well. Even if they don't have much money, they may have 2 or 3 outfits, but they dress very nicely, every pair of pants and every shirt is crisp and ironed, well done hair, or scarves etc. It's nice that everyone looks nice. Is that weird that I notice that? Anyway it's interesting to see a man in a ritzy outfit walking along the freeway, approaching stopped cars and selling things like belts, newspaper, flowers, anything. You'd expect someone like that to be dressed a little more shabby. Interesting.

Jordan smells really good, like spices. And after in rained it smelled like Jasmin, a lot like the kind in the backyard by your bedroom window mom.

We also went to a grocery store today, it was actually like wal-mart, minus the killer deals. I was surprised to find my "Bob's Red Mill" products (gluten free mixes etc) in the health food section. Also, the peaches were outrageously priced. They are imported from who knows where, and they cost, are you ready for this? about 16 JD PER POUND!!! which is like $24 dollars US. Crazy right? The crazy part is that people must buy them! Wow. And there's no guarantee they even taste that great, they've probably been frozen on the way here. Yuck. Also Interesting. Cabbage is bigger than a basket ball...and they sell TINY heads of romaine lettuce. Interesting again.

Anyway, here are a few pictures from today. There's a lot of different things around here, I'm trying to document some of the funny differences. There will be a REALLY amusing blog in the future containing small differences, okay maybe some large differences. So stay tuned.



The Belgian chocolate...really rich, so good.
Hazelnuts, Yum!

Debbie and Me, notice the finely dressed man in the back, I bet you anything he saw we were taking a picture and out on his best GQ face for the background. Weird.
Insane right? I just can't even believe people buy them!

Ruthie would say this is HUNORMOUS! It's like the size of a basketball, only flattened...that's a lot of cabbage y'all. Tiny Pineapple?
Ever heard of a custard apple?
Perfect size for your wonder bread sandwich right? Or felafel...whatever.

3 comments:

LeAnn said...

THanks for the peek inside the chocolate bar--I think you are teasing us! The marketplace photos are cool. Love you and miss you!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

SO funny! Those tiny heads of lettuce! I love it. But you know, I love small things! So cute! That is so funny the GQ face in teh backround- i bet you're right. ha- love you.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

oh yeah- and the not looking at men- weird. I can totally see how it woudl be really hard not to just casually smile at everyone- which includes men! very weird- and the clothing- nice- very surprising.