Friday, December 12, 2008

AQABA

Okay here are a few images from our trip to Aqaba. I took Jeremy and Jared with me, partly as body guards ;) Stories to come...

Scuba diving is amazing-period! But the red sea has some of the most amazing coral on the earth. It was so surreal to be so deep under water, looking at fish and creatures and coral so close. I got close enough to touch clown fish, lion fish, a white morray eel, and a million different kinds and colors of coral. But don't worry I didn't actually touch any of it :) I did take my underwater camera though and I'm waiting to get film back, so underwater pictures to follow:) Scuba diving is such a rush! I always have crazy anxiety at first when I'm like flailing in the water after I jump in with all my gear on, and i am relieved that I am floating not sinking and that my regualtor works becasue I am still breathing...whew. After the initial shock, it is so peaceful under the water. I was really glad I forced myself to do this trip, I would have seriously missed out!
Aboard the ship. Fist of all, it was a nice size, plenty of room for the twenty people to move around. Also there was a CHEF on board that made our lunch...he worked in this tiny closet-sized kitchen, and before we knew it he had at least eight LARGE dishes of amazing food for our lunch/ feast! It was a gorgeous day!

This is at our hotel the day we got back form diving and snorkeling...we felt so high class to be staying in a fancy hotel that made your towels into swans...all part of the experience!
We had a lot of fun strolling the streets of Aqaba...I loved all the tourist shops..and the boys tolerated them. They were the best body guards ever though. Even with them I got a few marriage proposals, and many comments like "Nice AAACcent" And some inappropriate invitations. Yuck. Why do Arab men assume that all American women are Loose? SO Anyway I was VERY glad to have my body guards!
I paid these men to make me a bottle of sand that said Jordan and had camels in the sand. It was well worth the money just to watch them make it!
I was very happy to be able to spend a few days alone with the nerd herd. They are really great boys, they are smart, hilarious, and just SO cute! They took their job as my body guard so seriously...they would fight about which side of me they got to walk on, and who would carry my bags. It was pretty cute. I am so glad I got to spend time with them...we had so much fun the last few days and really the last few months...watching movies together, playing basketball after school everyday, and I am pretty good at teasing them :) I think I'm the "cool" sister in law...YES!

6 comments:

Chad and Jessica said...

Wow, that sounds amazing!!! How STINKIN' COOL!!! And your bodyguards were rockin'. That's really interesting about your first feelings in the water....it does seem scary...all that heavy gear you're relying on to keep you alive...but like you said, definitely worth it!

Nice accent.....lol!!! I'm sorry you get hit on so much...how uncomfortable.

I can't wait to see underwater pictures!

Emily said...

AWESOME!!! Not many people can say they have been snorkeling in the Red Sea...what a cool experience!

Can't wait to see more pictures and hear all about your adventures when I see you at Christmas!

Nancy said...

Nerd herd? Ha, ha! That's awesome!

Looks like you had a good time! I'm SO looking forward to your underwater pictures!

LeAnn said...

It is time for you to come home now. Sure you have had big world wide and first class adventures, but I miss you and can hardly wait to see you.
Mom

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

hehe so cute-your bodyguards! I'm sure they took their job very seriously! Can't wait to see the underwater pics!

TaYloRcD5 said...

WOW!!! that looks and sounds so neat!! I think I'm going to come hang out with you. You seem to be always doing AMAZINGLY fun things. Those boys are darling, how cool that they "take care" of you. I bet John would be proud of them!! Have a wonderful christmas holiday.