We joined a small tour group, I believe there were 9 or 10 of us. Our guide was very nice and told us much of the History. From this site we could see Israel, Jericho and Jerusalem. It was an uncommonly clear day (clear enough to see over to Jerusalem because even though it is on a mountain, it's usually to smoggy to see that far. Israel and Jordan are separated b the border that is the Jordan River, so from where we stood, Israel was just across the river.
An Entrance to something right next to the parking for the Baptism site...not sure what though because there seems to be nothing behind it...yet
Debbie and I on the Shuttle Bus
This is a modern baptism font. You can choose to be baptized here or in the river.
This is the Spring that used to feed the place where the baptisms were held. Now it's dry and only gets flowing water from March to May


The path through to all the places we stopped was through these trees that grew overhead, creating a tunnel kind of. It was nice because it was hot in the middle of the day!
This stone explains that here is where there have been 5 churches since the fifth century (or maybe its that the building ended in the fifth century...SHOOT now I can't remember) Anyway, they were built here with steps that lead from the baptism font (which was a kind of outlet trapping the water from the River into the open pool for baptism) to the church(es). They were destroyed by flooding from the river. Then they would build a new church on top of the old ones. The spot is dry now, as the river has moved over 1500 years.
This is an illustration of how it would have looked anciently. At the bottom right there are four stones that mark the corners of the inlet for the water, and there is where the baptisms took place, straight down from the steps.
One of the four stones with carvings of the Cross

Our guide explaining things...I especially love the french man in the background with his camera, shades, and beret!
This is the baptism site. Archaeologists were only aloud after peace time in 1994 to explore this area, so it's a fairly recent discovery. three out of the four stone squares can be seen here, the larger roof in the back is a structure representing where the churches once stood (all in the same place, but at different times) and covering the workspace for the archaeologists.


All the boundaries and fences are made out of found crooked branches, I though it was interesting.
Site of the churches from the side
Inside the covering looking at the baptism site in the far back, and at the floor ruins of the churches.
Mosaic floor remnant

This is the Church, a beautiful sight and the only one of its kind as far as you can see.
This is the entrance to the water now where people come to be baptised
We are touching the Water from the River Jordan. While we were down at this part I had a strangely strong urge to splash Debbie with water, ad she would splash me back and we would start a water fight. Don't worry, I thought better of it...maybe I thought that because it felt so nice and we were all hot...

This is the inside of the fancy golden topped church. It's fairly new.

A nice place for a rest, sitting on these benches you can watch the Jordan River as is slowly flows by.
This was such an awesome visit, ans we made some friends as we often do, particularly with one woman whose name was Carol. She from ALabama but she has been here trying to fin the means and best opportunity to discuss with leaders around here to get education brought to the Palestinian refugee camps. Anyway, we were all tired on our ride back on the little shuttle, and no one was talking we all seemed to be lost in our own minds until after a ways into the ride we hear a soft music coming from somewhere, it was Carol and she was singing to herself "How Great Thou Art" and a few of us started singing softly as well, and then sort of in unison we all came into the chorus full barrel with full voices of angels, at least that's what it sounded like. Our song ended just a we pulled into the driveway. It was such an amazing end to the trip! The guide said, it is rare ti find yourself so intune with God that you feel you want to sing, even in front of people even if they look at you funny or whatever you should sing! So we did, and it was beautiful!
That was really cool but the best part was spending the whole day with Debbie. Man we talked each others ears off about things like what our favorite things to do, and family traditions, and holidays, we just gabbed and gabbed all day. PLUS on our way home, we stopped at this Gift Shop, more like gift warehouse. this was the kind of place to find all of your authentic things, and at good prices, and with such great service I think at any one time I could have asked that 4 men come help me and they would. They also offered tea and coffee. I bought some soaps, some jewelry, and Aladdin lamp, some dishes, and some Bedouin pillow covers, oh and a Jordanian Christmas Ornament :) Oh and of course some playing cards from Aqaba (where I a going scuba diving!!!) I always get such a high from finding unique items at reasonable prices!
What a Great way to spend a G!RLY day together!
The path through to all the places we stopped was through these trees that grew overhead, creating a tunnel kind of. It was nice because it was hot in the middle of the day!
This stone explains that here is where there have been 5 churches since the fifth century (or maybe its that the building ended in the fifth century...SHOOT now I can't remember) Anyway, they were built here with steps that lead from the baptism font (which was a kind of outlet trapping the water from the River into the open pool for baptism) to the church(es). They were destroyed by flooding from the river. Then they would build a new church on top of the old ones. The spot is dry now, as the river has moved over 1500 years.
Our guide explaining things...I especially love the french man in the background with his camera, shades, and beret!
This is the baptism site. Archaeologists were only aloud after peace time in 1994 to explore this area, so it's a fairly recent discovery. three out of the four stone squares can be seen here, the larger roof in the back is a structure representing where the churches once stood (all in the same place, but at different times) and covering the workspace for the archaeologists.
All the boundaries and fences are made out of found crooked branches, I though it was interesting.
This is the Church, a beautiful sight and the only one of its kind as far as you can see.
We are touching the Water from the River Jordan. While we were down at this part I had a strangely strong urge to splash Debbie with water, ad she would splash me back and we would start a water fight. Don't worry, I thought better of it...maybe I thought that because it felt so nice and we were all hot...
A nice place for a rest, sitting on these benches you can watch the Jordan River as is slowly flows by.
That was really cool but the best part was spending the whole day with Debbie. Man we talked each others ears off about things like what our favorite things to do, and family traditions, and holidays, we just gabbed and gabbed all day. PLUS on our way home, we stopped at this Gift Shop, more like gift warehouse. this was the kind of place to find all of your authentic things, and at good prices, and with such great service I think at any one time I could have asked that 4 men come help me and they would. They also offered tea and coffee. I bought some soaps, some jewelry, and Aladdin lamp, some dishes, and some Bedouin pillow covers, oh and a Jordanian Christmas Ornament :) Oh and of course some playing cards from Aqaba (where I a going scuba diving!!!) I always get such a high from finding unique items at reasonable prices!
What a Great way to spend a G!RLY day together!

11 comments:
Good job catching up on your blog! I really hope you get to teach Sunday School or Seminary some day a nd you can tell your students that you actually were at the River Jordan and touched the water (and that you did not start a water fight in a sacred place!) Love youand miss you,
Mom
I didn't really read any of it, and just skimmed the pics- but you are so, so pretty. I just had to tell you!!!
how AWESOME!!! That would be so neat to see all of those things. Looks so fun.
What a fun day! We would love to go see the River Jordan. You are so lucky to be able to be there. Sounds like you are having a great time. Thanks for posting.
~Erin and Lynette
court i misssssssssssssss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love the pics!!!! cant wait to see you though!!! im glad your havinh such a great time!!!! :)
Wow! I have always wanted to go to Israel, I am frankly too scared to do so! I am so happy you are happy! About the greenhouse, we built it from scratch. There are pros and cons, mostly pros! Steve designed it because things don't grow outside very well here or at all. That meant I needed a larger than average greenhouse. The kits were all so expensive and not really what I wanted. If you live in a normal place you would probably only want a smaller one and then you could buy a kit at costco or a place like Jerry's or Home depot. When you get closer to the time you want to do that project give me a call or we can email back and forth. Love you soooo much!
My BASSF is so, so cool!
Hey, I've been there before!
Hey, me, too! Looks like you had a great time! :)
wowser courtenay, you have been to river jordan! That is so amazing! I'm glad you didn't start a water fight in it though! When are you coming home?! I can't wait to see you! You are so beautiful in all your pictures!
By the way- thanks for your postcard! I loved it!
Post a Comment