From our Hotel we walked to the Jaffa gate of the old city. The first place we went to was the Western wall or wailing wall. These are believed to be sacred places because this section of the wall was preserved from the actual temple that stood here on Mount Moriah, which was also the mount that Abraham brought Isaac to for sacrifice, and where the Dome of the Rock and Al Aksa mosque are now. The wall and spaces around it were separated for men and women. The men had to wear yamika's to enter, for respect. They had some paper/cardboard disposable yamika's for tourists to use. This is the place where people come to pray, touch the wall, and stick their written prayers into the cracks in the wall. There are so many tiny bits of paper shoved into every nook and cranny.
There are people standing right up to the wall and rocking back and forth reading and reciting their prayers and scriptures, some sit to do this and touch the wall when they are finished praying. Some believe that since God's presence dwells in the temple, and this is the only temple remains, that his spirit is still here at the wall, and they feel that they can closer to God here than anywhere else. People come from all aver the world to pray here at the wailing wall, and many orthodox Jews come every day.
I was just yearning to tell them all about the gospel, and to tell them that God has established Temples ow, where his spirit really does dwell, and that by Reading the Book of Mormon they could come closer to God than any amount of praying here at the cold stones. If they only knew. And how grateful am I that I know! It certainly is a reverent place, there were many different people's destroyed here, many Jews died as well as other people, and much destruction took place over this Mountain and surrounding lands.
Outside the Jaffa Gate, first glimpses of the Old City
In one of the streets, behind me are some shops/souks. ALl the roads are ancient, and all the doors on the sides look so cool. These ones were all teal green...so cool.
The Western Wall/Wailing Wall
The women at the wailing wall

Touching the wall, if you are curious it felt like stone
The men's side
In one of the streets, behind me are some shops/souks. ALl the roads are ancient, and all the doors on the sides look so cool. These ones were all teal green...so cool.
The Western Wall/Wailing Wall
The women at the wailing wall
Touching the wall, if you are curious it felt like stone
We also took a tour of the Temple Tunnels, walked through some of them, and learned a lot about the structure of what the temple and old city looked like 2,000 years ago. I also saw the largest building rock they have ever found around here, and I don't know of a bigger one...it's 13 meters long so like 30 something feet long, and is 2,000 years old and weighed 575 TONS!!! Dang.
Walking through the tunnels
The tunnels were cool to see and walk through, especially because I got a better understanding for the building style and how and what they used. What they don't know is how on earth they could have moved that rock piece at all!
Admiring the ancient tunnels and listening to out tour guide, Justin is trying to keep his disposable yamika on his head, they had fans blowing in every direction
We also took an audio walking tour of the Jerusalem Archaeological park. We watched a video that put some things into perspective and then walked around the ruins learning about each place as we went. The pictures will explain a lot about this part. 
We also took an audio walking tour of the Jerusalem Archaeological park. We watched a video that put some things into perspective and then walked around the ruins learning about each place as we went. The pictures will explain a lot about this part. We are holding our audio tour guides to our ears, the Southwestern corner of the temple mount in the background
This is a ritual bath. Before entering the temple or even going to the temple grounds, people would take a Ritual Bath, and ascend the path to the temple. The person enters on one side of the bath, completely immerses themselves in the pure water (could not be just any water) and exits on the other side of the bath being physically and symbolically cleansed. Many houses had them, and many places near the temple had them for travellers. Once they are clean they cannot touch anyone or anything that is unclean, or they would have to be cleansed again. People (men) would save up all year to travel to the temple, and bring an offering. (a bird if you were really poor, and a goat or a lamb if you could afford it)
This is the small remains of what used to be a huge arch supporting the ascending stairs to the temple, it's called Robinson's Arch.

There were ruins on homes from the Byzantine era, they were so small and connected, like apartments kind-of. This is me in the doorway of one of the homes
On the floor of a main room, the floor was a cool mosaic
Not sure what this giant bowl was for, it seems too small to take a bath in, but then again, people then were very small, so maybe. Maybe a fire pit or something, but it was clean inside...?
These three arches used to be the Hulda Gates, but the Romans walled it up.
The courtyard and just outside a palace, that isn't actually there anymore. but the wall in the background is the outside city wall
We ate at a restaurant we stumbled upon in the souks (open markets, mostly run out of a stall) and ate shwarma and chicken with a smorgasbord of toppings and salads, among which was PINK pickled cauliflower...I didn't actually eat it...
Also, Fanta here is FANTASTIC!!! It's sweeter and less carbonated than in the states, and since you have to pay for water if you want to drink it with your meal at a restaurant, and it costs more than soda, I took advantage of the sweet orange soda! YUM!

This is a ritual bath. Before entering the temple or even going to the temple grounds, people would take a Ritual Bath, and ascend the path to the temple. The person enters on one side of the bath, completely immerses themselves in the pure water (could not be just any water) and exits on the other side of the bath being physically and symbolically cleansed. Many houses had them, and many places near the temple had them for travellers. Once they are clean they cannot touch anyone or anything that is unclean, or they would have to be cleansed again. People (men) would save up all year to travel to the temple, and bring an offering. (a bird if you were really poor, and a goat or a lamb if you could afford it)
This is the small remains of what used to be a huge arch supporting the ascending stairs to the temple, it's called Robinson's Arch.There were ruins on homes from the Byzantine era, they were so small and connected, like apartments kind-of. This is me in the doorway of one of the homes

On the floor of a main room, the floor was a cool mosaic
Not sure what this giant bowl was for, it seems too small to take a bath in, but then again, people then were very small, so maybe. Maybe a fire pit or something, but it was clean inside...?
These three arches used to be the Hulda Gates, but the Romans walled it up.
The courtyard and just outside a palace, that isn't actually there anymore. but the wall in the background is the outside city wall
Also, Fanta here is FANTASTIC!!! It's sweeter and less carbonated than in the states, and since you have to pay for water if you want to drink it with your meal at a restaurant, and it costs more than soda, I took advantage of the sweet orange soda! YUM!
A humorous sight to me...a very hassidic Jew, with his side curls, black coat, and hat, texting on his cell phone...Mom and Dad, if this guy can do it, so can you!
We went to Saint Anne's church, Anne was the Mother of Mary, and this was the supposed birthplace of Mary. The Acoustics are AMAZING here, Jenni sang Ave Maria, and it sounded really and honestly like a choir of angels. We also all three sang I need thee every hour. It was SUCH a contrast being in a Christian part! We had been to some pretty historical and amazing places but we agreed this was certainly one of the most peaceful. There was a man there who showed us the Holy Water Cisterns and the Pool of Bethesda, where the sick people would wait and when they saw the water stir or move they believe it was angels wings touching the water, so they believed the first one to touch the water after that would be healed. There was a certain man who had been an invalid for 38 years and Christ asked him if he wanted to be healed, and then man said he couldn't get to the water fast enough before someone else got there, and he had no one to carry him to the water, and Jesus Said "Rise, Take up they bed and walk" and then man was healed and went on his way. (the story is in John 5) This was the same healing that the Savior did on the Sabbath, so the Jews scorned him for that and tried to disprove his divinity. 
We went to Saint Anne's church, Anne was the Mother of Mary, and this was the supposed birthplace of Mary. The Acoustics are AMAZING here, Jenni sang Ave Maria, and it sounded really and honestly like a choir of angels. We also all three sang I need thee every hour. It was SUCH a contrast being in a Christian part! We had been to some pretty historical and amazing places but we agreed this was certainly one of the most peaceful. There was a man there who showed us the Holy Water Cisterns and the Pool of Bethesda, where the sick people would wait and when they saw the water stir or move they believe it was angels wings touching the water, so they believed the first one to touch the water after that would be healed. There was a certain man who had been an invalid for 38 years and Christ asked him if he wanted to be healed, and then man said he couldn't get to the water fast enough before someone else got there, and he had no one to carry him to the water, and Jesus Said "Rise, Take up they bed and walk" and then man was healed and went on his way. (the story is in John 5) This was the same healing that the Savior did on the Sabbath, so the Jews scorned him for that and tried to disprove his divinity.
The site of the pool of Bethesda, there are still water cisterns here, with water even!The father taller structure was a Crusader church, and below it was a house of healing for the sick, it seems this place was always associated with healing.

The man we met who showed us around unlocked this iron gate so I could climb in and take a peak of the cistern. There wasn't much to see, it was so dark, put I shone my camera light down to see it was very very deep.
Roman Orthodox Jews

We went to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. It was SO busy, huge and very gaudy. There was a stone supposedly that was where he was buried...not that He had a body to bury, I don't get it. But people would throw themselves crying onto the stone and pray and cry and pray and take tokens like gold and put them on the tomb, say a prayer and then put them back in their sack. Interesting. There was also the actual Sepulchre , I'll include a picture of it. How people can have "spiritual" experience in a place like this I do not know. On a historical standpoint it was VERY cool. Lots of old paintings, and mosaics, and churches with thrones and decoration. Inside the church were tons of pathways and places to other saints' worship, it was huge, and SO much to see.
There has been so much built around it, the church isn't too fancy on the outside...but inside is another story 
The actual Sepulchre. People were lined up a LONG ways to get to walk inside it, I was more inerested in seeing everything else there was to see
A throne or something, on the side of the main pulpit
People light prayer candles all around the Sepulchre
I LOVE shopping in the Souks, haggling on the price of something, finding gorgeous original things, I bought a Bedouin patchwork cloth, so beautiful! And I got a really great deal on it! I also bought some Camel Leather Sandals, they are SO cute!--but they stink like a camel droppings! That part will go away though :)
A shoemaker
Shopping in the Souk
This man was sleeping and barefoot in his shop :) Funny
This is a pyramid of spices! That's a lot of spice y'all
An assortment of candies...I felt kinda funny about eating them though, who knows how many unwashed hands and sneeze germs are on these things...all part of the adventure!
Spices, more and more spices!
The actual Sepulchre. People were lined up a LONG ways to get to walk inside it, I was more inerested in seeing everything else there was to see
A throne or something, on the side of the main pulpit
People light prayer candles all around the Sepulchre
A shoemaker

Shopping in the Souk

This man was sleeping and barefoot in his shop :) Funny
This is a pyramid of spices! That's a lot of spice y'all
An assortment of candies...I felt kinda funny about eating them though, who knows how many unwashed hands and sneeze germs are on these things...all part of the adventure!

Pink door...all the doors had their own character...I liked this one especially :)
We walked through the streets of the Old city, I got some fresh pomegranate juice squeezed on the spot. It look 2 pomegranates to fill one cup. It was very tasty!
Since we had a big lunch...we decided to have Gelatto for dinner...delish! Interesting story...there was a man who approached us for money for the sick children of Israel. He was an EMT and had some equipment with him, and a tax-write-off form if you wanted one, so he seemed legit. He was a Jew from the UK. We donated some money so he put his equipment and Yamika on Justin for a picture, the trouble was this fellow was quite ripe smelling, Justin was so grossed out he put hand sanitizer on his balding head! :) SO he left and shook Justin's hand, but wouldn't shake mine or Jenni's-for modesty reasons you know...Anyway this chap came back, and asked a favor. He explained that he in one of many children form an orthodox Jewish family, but that he is modern and has been shunned by his family, especially his older brother. So he wanted ME to call his brother and pretend I was from the Red cross, calling to tell the brother (Steven I think...not sure) that Michael (the EMT) was doing such a wonderful work volunteering for the sick Children of Israel. I thought it would be funny so I did...and the guy wasn't at home so I talked to his wife who saw right through my game. I just asked her to pass along the message...anyway as I was praising him on the phone saying what a wonderful asset he was to the organization blah blah blah he was jumping up and down thanking me ad saying like PERFECT, and That's Brilliant! Then he kissed my hand....so much for modesty right. Just an all around Odd experience!
That pretty much sums up day two, I hope the pictures explained a lot.

7 comments:
Pistachio Gelatto is my FAVORITE!
Oh man Court that looks like such an adventure. I love all the pictures! I hope someday I get to hear all your stories in person.
LOVE all these fun pictures! Especially the old guy texting. hilarious!
Court! This is seriously SO SO cool!!!!!! You are SOOOOOOO BEAUTIFUL!!!! I miss you so bad!!! I was so sad the other day when i missed your call :( i was at church in sacrament meeting! And school is SO busy! i'm on Design team now so i'm SUPER busy all the time doing things almost every night! It's crazy! Definately keeping me busy but im worn out and tired all the time! I miss talking to you so bad!I have so much to tell you! I'm taking my Bridals on Monday and i get to see Jarom in 11 days and we're getting our engagement pictures taken! Anyway, I'm so glad that you are getting to do all of this awesome stuff! you deserve it!! I can't wait to see you and maybe get to talk to you soon!!! I LOOOOOOOOOOVE you!!!! :)
P.S. I LOVE your poser pioture at the church...you KNOW that's what you were doing!!! hahahah just kidding!!! LOVE YOU! :) I know you miss me!
oh my gosh where to begin. The last story- hilarious. You could have been talking for a runaway criminal! or something! you crazy girl! You are so funny. OK- loved the guy texting- what a weird sight- OK- loved the prayer wall. And I loved the face you were making- I know you were totally making that face on purpose, but making it look like you were into it spiritually or something. haha. And talk about facinating- all those people going to the temple to pray and be closer to God, and those papers in teh crooks and cranny's so weird!!!!!!! But really cool that they are so dedicated in the only way they know how. Also loved hte pic of you sitting in teh church as though you were meditating though you were thinking about your feet. I loved all of it, I am speechless of how amazing this trip is. If I would have known you were going to be so diligent in posting your travels I would have been checking everyday! love you- and by the way- thanks for wishing me a happy birthday a month ago :) It counts for this week, since you planned it and all ;)love you!
OK- so I was looking at your contacts- and I noticed one titled, "most hilarious blog ever" so I checked it out to see if I knew who it was. Who the heck is that person? Do you knwo her? Fill me in because the suspense is killing me.
WOW WOW and WOW is all i have to say! Court I can't get enough of your travel adventures!! And you look so beautiful in every single one! All tan and stuff. Man you're a hottie. It looks like you bring personality over to there haha and I love it!
Keep 'em coming!!!!
Love you!!
Post a Comment