The last day in Jerusalem went to the temple mount (finally) and to the City of David. There are a whole lot of pictures, so I'll try to explain each one, ENjOY!!!
The Temple Mount
Set on Mount Moriah, home of the place where Abraham brought Isaac for sacrifice, and where the original temple as well as King Herod's temple lived, And where the Dome of the Rock is now as well as the Al Aksa Mosque.
This is a funny pic because it captures what I was often doing while we were stopped for a small water break or something...STRETCHING!!! Man after three days doing nothing but walking around, even with great shoes, it's a killer! I was pretty sore! But, for the record, definitely worth it!
The only carved dome like this in the world...I don't know if you can even tell how ornate it is, but it's pretty fabulous. 

One set of arches approaching the Dome fo the Rock

I never knew the Dome of the rock was SO decorated! The top half of it is covered in painted tiles, they are So detailed and so gorgeous!



An entryway, we weren't allowed inside...I can only imagine what it looks like inside! I mean judging by the exterior, the inside has got to be pretty stellar!

Top of the dome. The domes have some symbolism with the moon...
"holding" the St. Mary's Roman Orthodox church
I never knew the Dome of the rock was SO decorated! The top half of it is covered in painted tiles, they are So detailed and so gorgeous!
Top of the dome. The domes have some symbolism with the moon...
View of a church and the city through an arch
Once there were real statues here...we're just re-enacting ;)
Once there were real statues here...we're just re-enacting ;)
The City of David and Hezekiah's Tunnel

I know I look special in this shot, but I was really giddy about going down to the tunnel!
These are ruins from the retaining wall/fortress that was once the side of the palace.
Interesting, The guide asked us all if we knew what this was...I had seen loads of these that were olive presses so I volunteered my answer, boy was I wrong, it's the COMMODE aka Toilet...ancient toilet. Apparently you can discover a lot about people by their waaay old poo...and these people's leavings tell us that they ate weeds, and farm animals, like cattle stock, but that they ate them raw. They ate weds and their animals because they were cut off from food sources. Dandelions anyone?
Going down to the tunnels, and approaching Hezekiah's tunnel soon! SO COOL!
This is for Sarah, if you ever look at my blog, these are REAL live archaeologists excavating more and more ruins and sifting through these places for artifacts. AMAZING!
Here we go, and I KNOW I look fab with my head lamp on my head, sadly look below, nobody told me my bangs were parted so ridonkulously! It's totally cool though, I look way more rugged right?

Here we go, and I KNOW I look fab with my head lamp on my head, sadly look below, nobody told me my bangs were parted so ridonkulously! It's totally cool though, I look way more rugged right?

Okay I know this is a booty shot kind of, BUT the point is to illustrate the entrance of Hezekiah's tunnel, it was freezing water at first, but it was fresh and clean at least because it was from the spring.
The deepest part of the tunnel, thigh high, actually a LOT higher for Jenni ( I have a few inches up on her) At the beginning it was very cold and deep, but then in got much more bearable and much more shallow:)

Being in the tunnel was crazy, it was tiny in some parts, and pretty tall in some, I bonked my had a few too many times though.
Down the tunnel, all carved out, I just can't even describe, it was SO cool! It took about 35 minutes to tromp through the tunnel.
Being in the tunnel was crazy, it was tiny in some parts, and pretty tall in some, I bonked my had a few too many times though.
Getting more history from our guide, he was very cool, and was a professor or something at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. He is also an Archaeologist and was telling us about a tunnel they found only a WEEK prior to our visit! There is still SO MUCH to discover here!

2 comments:
You are so dang cool! I had been waiting for that post for a long time--I miss you but I am glad youa are such a brave girl!
Mom
Hi Court - once again loved the photos - but what is Hezekiah's tunnel? What was it used for? I couldn't figure it out from the awesome pics you took. Just wondering!
Post a Comment