Sunday, November 2, 2008

Jerash

Jerash was SO COOL!!! It was my first experience really with ancient ruins, I am just in awe of how detailed everything is, how many hours it must have taken to carve it all out of stone...man it's just amazing. There have been seven major earthquakes in the last I don't know like a thousand years or so, and many of the buildings and things have been demolished, but still their remains are there. They are just incredible, so much history it seems in every stone. It's very very cool. It was built by the Romans, hence the fancy columns and statues etc... SO cool!

Hadrian's Arch, massive. very detailed. Beautiful!
Debbie and me, BFF pic :)
Sitting on some of the ruins behind Hadrian's Arch
In front of Hadrian's Arch


The whole hippodrome, there was a play that we missed, that was a chariot race! COOL! We did get a picture with some of the costumed men though...
Debbie looking at the hippodrome
Some of the guards, they were laughing and waving, and they would smile and then go back behind their wall, then come back out and do it all again, they reminded me of shy flirtatious school girls...pretty funny.
This guard came over waving his sword, we were laughing at him, and he came over and put his arm around my waist, and started grunting HHMMMM through his mask. It was funny, showing off seemed to be his specialty
This is Justin at the end of the Hippodrome, outside these arches is a great view of what is modern Jerash.
A bird, don't know what kind, just thought this was a cool photo with the pillars from the forum in the background
A storage place next to the hippodrome, cool arches
The South Gate of Jerash
detail of the carving on top of a column, with the forum in the background
The Temple of Artemis
The faces of these carvings have weathered away, and where they once stood on top of the massive buildings, they now sit on the ground. I don't know if you can tell but the one closest was a lion, you can kind-of see the tail...
These guys were playing Scottish traditional songs on the bagpipes...talk about out of place! Debbie said though that Jordan was part of British mandate or something waaaay back when, so maybe it's not that out of place. The acoustics in the amphitheater are awesome!
The stage, so many entrances, so cool!
The amphitheater rows and rows and rows...
Backstage of the theater

5 comments:

*Stephanie Lance* said...

OH MY GOSH COURT COOOOOOOOL!!!!!!! that looks so cool! i'm so glad that you're sharing all of this with everyone! its so great! I love the pics and the stories! I'm so glad that you get to have such a great experience! I love you and miss you oh so badly!!! :)

LeAnn said...

What a beautiful place--I am just trying to imagine what it must have looked like when it was new! Can't imagine the engineering it would take to build those things--and without a computer or any big tractors etc. THanks for sharing and you still look very cute.
Love you.
Mom

Linda Horsley said...

Court,
So amazing! I am so glad you are experiencing all of this. You are sooo cute. Do send me a postcard. My address is 2272 N. 900 W. Layton, Utah 84041. I wish I was there with you seeing everything for the first time. So cool. Love Ya!

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

that photo with the bird is awesome! those guards look like they're a laugh too! Awesome pics, I love hearing all about your adventures!

TaYloRcD5 said...

Hey how are ya? This is Keyera's mom. She is going to write you an email but we wanted you to see her and some of the fun things that she does on our blog. It is so neat to see all the fun things that you are doing!!!