First week of school. Survived. My class is so adorable! I knew they would be, but it's just thrilling to have them with me! I feel so privileged to be their teacher. They are some remarkable kids. We spent the week doing routines and get to know you games, and art and math games and writing and lessons on being good people...like making friends and helping others. I also had to do some testing to see what groups each child should be in. In my new school the students rotate for math and reading. The bad news is I teach all the really low readers, which means I teach low kids, ones that can't recognize letters half of the time. It will be a challenge for sure, but I am really looking forward to building them up and making them confident little people. I have some real chnaracters in my class, one with a lischp...teascher, teacsher...whastch tchime isch lunsch? And one who is a refugee from Somalia, ZERO english skills, but a beautiful beautiful girl, and eager to learn, she wears a hijab and everything :)
Bummer: I am sick. already. I know its a combination of stress and a new schedule and GERMS, but I wash my hands all the time, my students always put hand sanitizer on, they just pick their yucky little button noses and thier boogers end up all over the place, in their mouths (BARF) on their clothes, rubbed onto their own hands, desks, pencils, etc etc etc...and they make me ill! Darn it! I'm hoping my immune system with kick it up a notch. I am so achy and stuffy I don't know what to do! Drugs are the answer I think...any 'sure thing' magical remedies out there? Let me know!
I LOVE the way my classroom ended up looking

First day of school! Can you tell this dress is my FAVORITE?!?!?! It was John's first day of the semester at the U too, cute yes?

With my lunch bag and everything...so exciting!

Please ignore the MESS that is my desk...it always looks like this, organized chaos!

"THE" leaf, remember how bad I wanted this leaf, I wish I had 2 more!

Penelope hanging out...lol....hanging out! LOL!!!

The reading corner..it didn't quite turn out how I had envisioned it, but it's still pretty cute. The owl, the leaves, the BOOKS :) Love it! The kids REALLY love it, they think our classroom is the "Bomb" their words...not mine. I like it.

I made this word wall...if they don't know how to spell a word, they go over and see if it's in the word wall, for example, if they don't know how to spell 'friend', they go look in the 'f's. if the word is there, they take it to their desk, spell it, and return the card to the 'f's. If the word is not there, they bring me a card and a pen and say "friend". I write it on the card, and they use it to spell. this way I don't have to tell kids a trillion times how to spell the word 'friend'. nice. and SO cute!


All my chairs were mismatched, anad my desks were different heights. I begged the custodian to be my friend and help me switch out chairs and fix my desks, I am a little ocd about them all being the same color, height, etc. I love it when things match, and I LOVE these old green chairs!

View from the back of the room

View from the door

All these bulletin boards will be full of things eventually, like art and vocabulary words etc...

Notice the flags at the top, made by me out of fabric, they took me FOREVER to make , but I will use the FOREVER so it's okay :)

Had to bedazzle my computer desk, just some extra fabric I had...nice touch though right?

My wall of embroidery hoops, inspired by Jessica! Thanks Jess, I love them! I am working on some curtains that match these...they are taking far too long to finish...bit off more than I care t chew at the moment! :)
A few more things....
Found FIVE dresses for FIVE dollars EACH!!! Talk about a five dollar FREAK OUT!!! This is the first of the five that I have worn, paired it with a sassy black belt thanks to Jana, and I wish you could see my hair twisted back...it was adorable.

butter yellow with Grey polka-dots, I love the collar and the buttons, sorry the pic isn't the best, feeling WAY to lazy to edit photos!

Also, Jana took John and I to float down the Provo River, it was GORGEOUS! (And a little cold) but so much fun!


One more thing, I just finished this dress! I LOVE it, i'm even making 2 more with this pattern, (the same as I have made in the past) it's seriously THE most comfortable thing to wear! I love when I can be comfy and cute at the same time! I got the green fabric for like 50 cents a yard at a wal-mart close out...SCORE! And the middle section is an Amt butler print that I LOVE!!!
16 comments:
wow...I love all the fun pics of your new classroom. You look adorable as usual!! I always got sick when teaching school. It seems there is no real cure! Bummer.
Oh Court, you are SO CRAFTY! I love your classroom!I LOVE the clock on your desk. So cool. I love all the decor you put up! Your room is definitely da BOMB! Your dresses are all SO CUTE! I wanted to go get that pattern, and now I am pretty darn sure I'm gonna. I love it!
You're the cutest thing I have ever seen, and so is your classroom. It makes me want to be in 3rd grade!!
AHhhhhh where to begin! i should have been taking notes- everything I saw I just wanted to start commenting right away. You are the coolest teacher! Your classroom is so cool! I love the owl in the cage! and your tree leaf! I love the letter idea for words- did you just think of that idea? brilliant! And how if it's not already up there you add to it- so smart! I want to tell Lyndsey my sister in law about that- so smart- crack up over the chairs- I woudl so want to do the same thing- and teh color is BACK in style! I love all your decorations- everything is so cute! Your dress that you bought is incredible- that picture needs to be framed- you are so perfectly posed, it reminds me of a magazine add- seriously- you, teh dress, the look, the face- the body- everything- magazine! And the dress ytou made is so gorgeous! You are so good with invisioning colors together- I would have never thought to do that- such a great idea. I love you! I hope you get better- when you were taling about the bugers it really grossed me out- I feel really sorry for you- I'd be tempted to just wear latex gloves all day. you shoudl just wear cute garden gloves! love you-
Hey Courtenay...this is Sarah (Jenni's friend)...I was checking your blog to see if you have classroom pics up and yea, you do!!! Your classroom is adorable! I love it all! It totally makes me miss teaching! And I love your word wall...that's a great way to do that! Hopefully you'll get a stronger immune system soon...teaching is hard like that...I am a fan of Emergen-C, it's amazing! Also, love all your super cute dresses!!
Hey, here I am, being a creeper, just blog stalking, peeking at your life, being a weirdo :)
Please don't hate me because your life is more entertaining than mine. Thank you.
You are the worlds most crafty person, I love it. But I do have one question. How do you spell friend??
Cute Cute classroom. All the kids from other classes are going to wish they were in Mrs.Lances class!! 'Cuz her room is the cutest and her dresses are the cutest!! I hope you are feeling better this week!
Oh. My. Gosh!!!
Where to begin? CUUUUUUUUUUTE classroom!! seriously sist, i'm SO jealous of all your craftiness and cuteness!! and ohmy gosh those dresses are to DIE for!! Especially the yellow and grey polka dot one! AHHHHH!!! I LOVE it! You are the CUTEST teacher!! I wish i was in your class! Your classroom is MOST DEF the BOMB!!! You're the best and all your decorations are so awesome and everything! GOOOOOD JOB!!!! I miss you and i can't wait to live there closer to you guys where i can actually go see your classroom in REAL life!! I LOVE YOU!! oh, P.S. When i called you last night about the Taco's, and i asked how to do them-you told me and then said "check my blog, i just blogged'. I thought you meant that you blogged about the tacos so i was like "ok, great'' I looke ALL OVER for it and then finally realized, "Oh. She was just telling me to look at her blog" DOi. hahah anyway, CUTE blog! love you!
AGH! your classroom is soooo adorable! i love everything about it! can i come to your school? sadie and i will be really quiet in the back! promise! haha. love the embroidery hoops! and your yellow dress. a.dorable. truly. lucky duck. awesome!
Well, it's all been said but evertying on your blog has CUTE written all over it. Your class room, your dresses, your MOM, your craft room and on and on. Those little kids are so lucky to have you as their teacher. No wonder you are sick, did you stay up nights making it so adorable. I hope you feel better by now.
I think I'm turning into my mother because I got all teary when I saw your classroom! hahaha! I wish that you could teach my kids someday! Everything is so awesome... the word wall- SO COOL!!!!!!
and one of these days, I've gotta learn to make those dresses. They're so cute!
love you chort!
I think you should move to Idaho and teach school here so you can be my kids teacher. Looks like so much fun. What grade are you teaching, anyway? Can't remember. I bought stock in Airborne. I think it works great. I couldn't handle the nose pickin' either, there is nothing worse than that! Gagggggg. Rolf.... auuhhkk!
Your classroom is AWESOME!! I just had to add that even though it's already been said a million times! I'm am so impressed by all your craftiness. It looks like you LOVE your job and that's what helps make a GREAT teacher. Your kids are lucky. Oh, and I love that you got matchy-matchy chairs. Heeheehee, I'd be doing the same thing. Everything looks great!
Hi Court,
I have been so anxious to see your classroom - and it is even better than I thought! It looks like such a happy place! It looks like a place that kids would love to come to! And with you as the teacher....every kid's dream come true! I love the story about the sh!t on the whiteboard! That is one of the fun things about teaching.....you never know what funny thing will happen next! When things settle down a bit at school, lets collaborate to see what we can come up with! I am jealous of the experience you will have with the little girl from Somalia. Fun challenge, I think!
Love ya,
Laura
Oh my gosh, it's so bright and colorful and welcoming and organized, I just love it! Have a great year!
I love it Court! I bet your kids in 3rd grade love you! Miss you tons!
Post a Comment