Thursday, September 3, 2009

True story...rated PG-13 for a swear word

It's too late...12:23 am...I had parent teacher conferences tonight. We are going camping to Yellowstone tomorrow, John is still up and will be all night working on unpacking LOADS of junk from boxes we brought from our storage unit...

Today was entertaining. I teach reading for all the low readers in third grade. I love them. They are adorable. They really struggle and I have to try really hard to motivate them and get them to have fun in reading because most of them hate it. I don't like doing things I'm not good at either. I came up with this game on the fly today: teams of three kids per team. Personal white board, marker, one person is the writer to write the sentence, a reader to read and make sure the sentence makes sense and a speller to make sure the spelling word is spelled right. So I say, your first word is 'lamp' write a sentence using the word lamp. They do, they get points accordingly. Their sentences went like this: The lamp is pink. She turned on the lamp. etc etc. The next word, black, write a sentence using the word black...the cat is black...I have black shoes....and then one group is taking awhile to show me their sentence, I can tell they are arguing, I give them time. They bring me their white board. They look at me frustrated because they can't figure out how to spell one word, I look at the sentence:

"I have a black sh!t"

True story. They wanted to write shirt...ahhhhh...awesome day.

8 comments:

Jenni said...

hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was wondering why in the heck they would be revealing that secret in class, but since you said they were trying to spell SHIRT, that makes more sense!! How funny, Court!! You've got to have the most entertaining job ever!

Have fun in Yellowstone!!

LeAnn said...

i am laughing out loud!! That was so funny, but when i first looked at your post, I saw the bold writing and I thought you were giving us more of your health details1 Hahahah.
Have fun camping!

*Stephanie Lance* said...

HA HA HA HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAA Thats awesome!!! How funny! did you laugh your head off? trying not to of course? hahaha thats so funny! i'm still laughing! kids are so hilarious!!!! have fun camping! SO JEALOUS!!! Love you!

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeheheehe! funny kids! hey I found this blog i thought you might like, unless you've already found it:

http://www.domestifluff.com/

she makes a lot of gluten free recipes! have fun in yellowstone!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

THAT IS AWESOME! Love it- thanks for sharing- love you

Aaron and JaNell said...

Just so you know, I have thought about you several times for the past few days. I have told numerous people about this story and because we just got a mac computer.
Love the story! Laugh about it every time I think about it.

Jill said...

Hilarious. What a great game you came up with.

Anonymous said...

totally read your blog...this is amy bytheway