Saturday, September 26, 2009

The BALL, some crafties, and update

The Military Intelligence Ball was fun, it was more fun to get all dressed up for a "for reals" BALL!!! Here's the thing, I didn't know WHAT to wear...so I went shopping...had I not waited till the last minute I would have considered sewing myself something, but I didn't want to put that kind of pressure on myself so late in the game. So...what do Adults wear to a Ball? It's formal...the servicemen and women wear their dressiest duds, bowtie, shiny shoes, all their decorations etc... Now I went to a Ball in Jordan, but I was told that the Ball here wasn't as formal...well...okay, but still what to I wear??? SO I went shopping, only to run into the same problem as I did in high school, slinky, sleeveless, strapless, loads of glitter (Which is WAY fun and adorable and appropriate for the Prom...but a ball? I don't know!) So everything i found was too teenager-ish, immodest, expensive etc. So I decide that I should wear black, anything in black looks classy, right? Well, long story SHORT (ish) on a whim I stopped in at Ross, and tried every.single.black.dress. in my size. (like 15 dresses) and told myself I wasn't even going to look at price tags, John told me I could spend like 60 dollars...generous no? So I tried on dress after dress...and found one that was fun to wear, black, sassy, and something I felt dressed up in. It is in NO way a ball gown, but I'm okay with that, I felt pritty:) I wanted to do a pretty up do, and I fell in love with Taylor swift's hair at the CMT awards, and I did my best to re-create it. It was fun. I wore some jewelry I had (Emily, do you recognize my necklace???) I bought a Belt and some shoes to dress it up some more.

Doesn't my prince look SO dashing AND charming?!



Turns out I fit in just fine with my not-a-ball-gown dress :)
Our "TEAM" We love hanging out with these great guys and their wives! Always a hoot!
This is another dress I made with my favorite pattern. I usually don't take this long to get ready for school, but it was picture day! :) I forgot to take a picture close up of the print, it is beautiful! It's my new favorite!
Oliver turned ONE!!! (And Nate had a birthday too...)
I was itching to make something with applique, I didn't know it was SO fast and easy! YEAH!!!
I wanted to do long sleeves since we're heading into fall and winter, I LOVE the stripey tie!

And the "look at me I'm ONE" shirt. Applique is such a satisfying project!
I added a comfy pair of brown pants to the set. It was so cute all together!

I bought this dress for 2.oo...that's right, 2 bucks, on super clearance at TJ Maxx...to tell you the truth I don't know that I would have picked out the checks over like a flowery print, but you know, when there's a dress that's my style for 2 bucks, do I say no? No. So I decided to bedazzle it tonight :) It look all of like 15-20 minutes and I did it while i was watching women's conference :)
Added this trim I happened to have, to girly it up a bit... it also added 2 inches of length, which I am grateful for, I'm tall :)
And I made this flower out of the trim, and a matching one for my hair




All the girls in my class on picture day:)

15 comments:

Jenni Call said...

Cute trim! Love the appliques...just wait until you have a little one. It will become an obsession! BTW...you never posted on your blog that a new nephew joined the family (ahem, cough, phillip). You can even steal pics from my blog. I know you love your family more but come on Courtenay, he is pretty cute. LOL...was that a fat joke???

Courtenay Beth said...

Jenni, Everyone I know who reads my blog, reads yours too! I am always telling my fam to check out your craftiness on your blog, thankyouverymuch! THAT is why I didn't blog about my newest nephew! JUST so we're clear! :)

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

cute stuff! love the dresses, all of them! and your hair is adorable! how fun to dress up!

Emily said...

You just amaze me! You guys look so great all dressed up...your make up looks so good! And the necklace...blast from the past!! Love it!

I love doing the applique too, especially for little kids, it's just too cute.

I love reading your blog but it makes me miss you!

Ashley said...

You sassy little devil, look at you rock those heels!! A girl after my own heart. Love the appliques.

LeAnn said...

Good choice on the dress--you looked beautiful and I loved the hair do. Good job. The shirts for Oliver are adorable!
Oh and John is looking very sharp too!
Love you guys!

*Stephanie Lance* said...

LOVE it ALL!!! How come you gotta post to much in one post? I don't know if i can remember all the things i was thinking while i read all of that but lets see. First- you look AWESOME!!! Perfectly BEAUTIFUL!!! I have THE most Beautiful sist EVER!!! Your hair looks SO GOOD!!! I don't think i could have done better! You did SO good!! and HELLO-That dress that you made=MY FAVORITE!!! So cute and pretty!! And those shirts for Oliver and everything are PERFECT! I wish i could be as crafty as you and have such good ideas! Maybe when we live closer you can teach me all your tricks and talents! I Love you!! :)

Mrs. Laura Kay Pettit said...

I agree with Steph! Soo much fun stuff in one post! I love the stripey tie for Oliver! So adorable - but practical for a little one! We went to Aislinn's first birthday party last night. It was all about the princess! She even had a tiara!
Speaking of princesses, you looked like one for the ball. So classy! Love the new dress you made too. Cool Fabric! Miss ya tons!

Jenni said...

Ok, you should know that I've looked at this post multiple times because you look so freaking GORGEOUS in that dress and hair-do and everything! Holy CRAPPPP, Court! You always are amazing me how you can make everything look so so good! Way to go on your hair and the whole get up!

And also, we live in the saem state now. I suggest we party!!! Maybe you could teach me to make something someday haha :)

Jenni said...

P.S- John is looking GREAT in his uniform duds!! How awesome! He just looks so legit!

Carol and Bruce said...

Awesome post Court, as always you guys are looking so sharp. Lucky you, going to Yellowstone, the pictures are amazing and I want to go back. I love all your sewing projects and am so glad you have that talent.
take care!

The Hanson Family said...

you are so cute and I miss you. I love reading your blog, it always inspires me!!

Anonymous said...

Court this is Amy. So I'm wondering if you're going to make me a dress for my birthday...? I thought I better mention it now since it's in three months. And I don't want to end up getting a cute little shirt with the number 30 on it. I'm funny right?

Mel D said...

You are so gorgeous AND talented!

You make me want to learn how to do appliques...

Linda Horsley said...

Ahhh! Military balls. They are so fun! It's always exciting to really get all dressed up for a real ball. You look great!