
Today I was sued...and I won!
I was in a car wreck about 2 months ago, and the guy who hit me only had liability insurance. When my insurance refused to pay for his car's damages he sued me! Crazy right? I mean who in their right mind would ever sue Mwa???? Strike One. So today was the court date, and my insurance graciously sent me with a Lawyer to defend my case...yes!!! I wouldn't have to represent myself like one of those crazies on Judge Judy... he didn't have a lawyer. Strike Two. Also when he gave his testimony he took like 10 minutes to draw a diagram for the judge...10 minutes of silence while he looks at his small drawing he made, and re-constructs it on the white board..10 minutes of all of us wondering...is he EVER going to be done??? I had my sis-in-law Kristen with me rooting me on, you know like the BFF's in Legally Blonde who storm into the Court room screaming "Vote for Elle!!!" Only not as vocal. Well, he took great pains to mark even measurements on the road of his drawing like "from curb to the suicide lane is 17 feet, and the distance between our 2 cars was 7 feet blah blah blah!!! and on an on" so the judge along with everyone else was just rolling their eyes like...uhhh...seriously? Wow. PLUS he seemed to have fabricated some details, I mean I am totally open to the fact that 2 different people= two different perspectives, but he just wasn't right. Strike three. SO I gave my testimony (and yes I know you're all wondering I was SO nervous, like I thought I might explode out of 2 ends...yuck! sorry for the deets, its just that there was like a for rills judge there and everything!) anyway I did a champion job, probly from all my days at peer court, you know being familiar with court proceedings and all (FYI, I volunteered in the community Youth Peer Court when I was in High School with some wonderful gal pals (erica dawn, hollah!) and I got be the swearer-inner and introduce the judge (you know..all rise all rise for judge...) and wrap the gavel...so cool!) Anyway, I was like a lethal weapon, and I really did feel just like Elle Woods, only my heels were not that high and no worries I still am a brunette...okay plus my lawyer totally kicked trash all throwin in legal jargin like "according to Utah code blah blah blah the plaintiff was clearly in violation of blah blah blah, and the only thing the defendant would be guilty of is distracting the plaintiff with her cuteness...oh wait all cept for that last part! Anyway, the Judge ruled that I was not at Fault, so I don't have to pay a single cent. Phew! Plus it was very interesting waiting our turn for our hearing in small claims court...TONS of people get sued for pay day loans...don't EVER get a pay day loan friends, if you're really that hard up for cash, sell your plasma, at least it goes to a great cause! Also if you're wondering, which I know you are, he sued me for 24 hundred bucks and some change. I honestly do feel really bad for the guy, not only does he have to pay out of pocket for his car to get fixed, but he also has to pay for the court fees...Dang! Plus he really was a nice guy! Goes to show...you shouldn't have only liability insurance if you can't afford to pay out of pocket to get your car fixed...
So today I learned a little more about the legal system, and I am so happy to be on the right side of the law you know? Not that I ever haven't been, of course. I feel pretty cool though...how many people do you know that have been sued?

9 comments:
Good Job Court--I was praying for you. so glad you had Kristen with you for moral support. Love you--You are the COOLEST--Way to kick B*##.
Wahoo! Kicked his trash, ehh? Poor dude. Glad you "won"
Dude, you rule. You're actually the second person I know to be sued and win! I wish I could have seen it. Teen court rules!
LOL! So you are the only 24 year old I know who has been sued! Pretty cool thing to have on your resume basically because you WON! Congrats!
Congrats Courtenay! I'm glad everything turned out so well. P.S. I'm so jealous about your trip to Hawaii. I hope you have a blast!
awesome! you rock!
Congrats....but oh my goodness how stressful! Sometimes I have to go to court w/my job for little things, and I get so nervous just cuz I'm not familiar with everything, but I've never lost, and I've never messed up.....it's such a wonderful feeling when it's all over.
I still can't believe you were sued!!! Weird....you're a stud!
Wow you made that experience sound awesome! I'm so glad you didn't have to pay that money! Silly person- sueing you.
oh my gosh, that is so hilarious- I bust out laughingn when you were describing the guy drawing his picture from a picture on the white board- so hilarious. Oh my gosh. Well I'm so glad you don't have to pay anything, and that was really nice of your insurance to send you in with a lawyer. So funny- I wish I could have seen that guy being so slow. haha. love you.
Post a Comment