Thursday, May 21, 2009

TOO MUCH INFO...

If you don't want to read about diahrea and poo...STOP reading now. I am seriouse, I warned you. And stephanie, I know you will read this more that once you'll like it so much.
Today I went to the GI to get a checkup on some symptoms related to Celiacs disease, the usual, runs, squirts, pain, blood...delightful. Also gas. A lot of gas. I am giving you the readers digest version. by the way. The doc talks to me for a half hour about my symtoms, one of my personal favorite subjects to share with strangers...I suppose it's different if you're talking to a doctor...anyway, I go to the lab where the blood is drawn, but I also have to do a stool sample...for some reason it didn't register while I was in the doctors office...how on EARTH do I collect a sample of stool....EWE. So The people at the lab give me this ginormous paper bag filled with supplies...I look inside. A white plastic cowboy-ish shaped hat, gloves, a tongue depressor, a cup with a lid and a plastic baggie. Huh? So I ask, um...I've never done this before, mind you there are other people in the waiting room, and there was no counter type desk, just an office-type desk, and the waiting room is totally open. To make matters more interesting James (John's brother) is in the waiting room as well, I know small world, he and I happened to be in the same lab at the same time, small small world. So the man at the desk tells me how to "use the tools for collecting a specimen" that are found in the paper bag. he says I have to bring the "sample" into the lab within 2 hours of collecting it. Well with my current situation I can pretty much "go" at any time, so I ask if I can just "collect" it here and not have to come back. He looked at me really funny and said I wasn't aloud to "collect that kind of a sample" in the lab bathroom, but that I could use the public potty on the same floor and just bring back my "specimen". Lovely. So after I get my blood drawn, I cheerfully take my giant paper bag into the Loo to "collect my specimen". Here's how the thing works, the white hat isn't actually a hat at all, but it's like a special poo catcher that you set on top of the toilet seat to assist in the process. And they tell me I can't let any urine in the sample or they will reject it. So not wanting to have my "sample" rejected for fear of having to repeat this lovely process I am very careful. I go. Any ideas what the tongue depressor is for? Yep...scoop it into the cup, seal it up, label it and voila...done. But what do I do with the soiled hat? It was yucky. No fun, I put it in the restroom trash can...gross. So then I am carrying this warm cup of yuck I had just passed, and everyone in the office knew I was going through this, I come parading back into the lab with my collected sample, people are trying not to snicker, myself included. I hope I never have to do that again. How would you like to be the one to recieve and analyze such "samples". who in their right mind? Anyway, I also have to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy on the same day in a few weeks. joy. wish me luck. Sorry if that was tmi...

9 comments:

E and J said...

shouldn't have read this bfore breakfast. ;)

Emily said...

Yea, who goes to medical school and says, I want to collect poo samples for a living...

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that, but I love that you shared it with all of us!
Oh, and THANK YOU for the birthday card! That was the nicest surprise ever!!
I love you!

Danielle said...

Hm...I am so sorry for that. You know what I was thinking though? I am so horrible...I was thinking, "did it stink while she was carrying the bag back to the counter?" hahahha. Not that that would be funny for you, it just seems like something that would happen in a carton or something. I'm sure it didn't, considering it was in a plastic cup sealed. Anyhow, I'm so sorry you have to have all these symptoms. I hope you get feelin better:) Love ya!

Chad and Jessica said...

LOL! Poor, poor Courtenay! I'm sorry. I can't believe they didn't have a more private desk to ask questions at. Luckily you're really cute, so the people in the waiting room were probably surprised that such a beautiful gal poops at all.

Is it weird that I think it may be difficult to not let urine infect the "specimen"? What a hassle!

The next time I need to use the restroom I can say, I need to go flush a specimen.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

hahahah- that was hilarious. my favorite part is the word specimen. Love it. ANd that's it's warm. Ok- but I am so sorry that this is going on. Have you been eating things you aren't supposed to? Why are you having these symptoms? I am so sorry. My bum feels your pain. Not the colonoscopy pain, but the diarea pain. Love you- keep us updated.

Jenni Call said...

oh you poor thing! It is almost as bad as having baby...you don't have any thing to hide afterwards. LOL...I laughed. Hope your sample is NOT rejected and the docs can find the source of your bum issues

Shellie and Bryan said...

That was a great poop story. I seriously enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing ;) Now I know exactly what to do if I ever have to go through that. I hope you get feeling better soon and you figure out what the butt is wrong with your guts.

Amanda said...

You are classic! Your stories crack me up! I have been dying to get back to a computer to tell you how funny you are! So sorry you have to endure that "fun" stuff. This too, shall pass (no pun intended...). Since I'm married to Derik, poop stories don't even phase me. If I had him read this, he'd really appreciate it/you. Have a great day!

*Stephanie Lance* said...

AHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHAAAAAAA oh man sist i am so sorry about that experience but it is so funny! I TOTALLY know how you feel though...NOT FUN!! you're lucky you got that little hat though!!! I just got a little cup thing that i had to hold under my bummy bum to catch it and it even got on my HANDS ahhhhhhh!!! GU-ROSSSSS!!!! hahahahah oh man so funny!I love that you asked the guy at the desk if you could poop in his bathroom! SICK man!!!! haha oh dearrrr! at least they didn't stick their fingers in your butt hole....MORE THAN ONCE!!! mmmmm hmmmm! Does John just crack up about it? Jarom was a little worried when i first told him about my problems in the past that could creep up on me anytime but now he giggles about it with me. Still worried of course, but who wouldn't laugh about that? its just funny!! hhahaha I'm so proud of you for going through it like a CHAMP! GO YOU!! and for sharing it, thats even better and BRAVER! If thats a word! I just made it up maybe...just for you!!! :) love you sist!!!!