Sunday, June 13, 2010

Garage Sale LOVE

So recently I have been LOVING garage sale deal hunting!!! It even gets me out of bed early on Saturday mornings...yeah...it's a big deal. I used to like garage sale-ing when I was a student, always looking for something for the apartment or whatever, but NOW I LOVE it so much, because people are practically giving away their junk for pennies! I have found so many baby clothes at garage sales, good stuff too, I'm talking Gymboree, Children's place, baby Gap, old Navy, you know the GOODS!!! All for like nothing! This baby is going to be stylin'...and I don't have to spend much money!!! PLus, the thrill of finding just the right item, and at such a STEAL is priceless...it's an addiction!

When I go garage sale-ing i usually scout out the ads on KSL or craigslist Friday night, and I make a list of addresses of garage sales that look promising, and that aren't too far away, like multi-family yard sales, neighborhood yard sales, fund raiser yard sales et...I figure I get more to choose from with more people combining all their junk in one place :) Then I make a set of directions on Google maps, print it out, and then I am ready on Saturday morning. I always bring my change jar with, and when I approach a sale, I always have a few bucks in quarters in my pocket, in case all I want is something small...plus I feel like I'm not even paying anything if it came out of the change jar! :) Do you think I am ridiculous yet??? LOL!!! My Grandma Ruth would be SO proud!!!

So this week was especially rewarding, so I wanted to share some of my favorite finds :)
Vintage golden books, I ADORE vintage books, and other things, but especially books! The Bambi was printed in 1941, and the Pinnochio (tiny in the bottom left corner) was 1939!!! The Pooh was in the fifties, and I forgot to look at the Saggy Baggy Elephant and Tawny Scawny Lion, but those two were some personal favs of mine...
Color stacker, a bit sad on the scratches, but worth .50 cents to me!
Wooden Blocks!!! These babies are SO expensive to buy new!!! I remember playing with these very kind at the Arnolds house growing up! I LOVE them! I didn't even mind paying 2 whole dollarsfor all of them!
Red cowboy boots, I think they'll fit the little buckaroo when he's 3 or 4...too cute! 1.00
This play gym is BRAND NEW, still in plastic! It was only $2.00...only thing is, they never used it, but did manage to lose the toys that attach to the arches, I think I might make some...any ideas???
Baby Swing, 5 bucks....which totally rocks because I REALLY didn't want to buy one new at the store for like 80 bucks, you never even know if your baby is going to even like the swing!!! SO I'll be fine if he doesn't but thrilled and proud of my find if he does! It's also missing some hanging toys...
I don't know if I had one of these doctor kits, but I have fond memories of playing with one at the Jolleys...only .50 cents :)

Okay my next find is truly a treasure!!! I played with these little people for hours when I was little! I remember my family had the circus set with the elephant and giraffe, and the Jolleys had the farm I think, and I know the Arnolds had them too....classic. I might've had a litle too much fun reminiscing with my new friends today....

The entire set....1.00 :)
(They sell for a lot of cash on ebay, like 4.00 for one person! I'm not going to sell these though...)









SO fun right??? I am really attracted to wooden toys and vintage toys, so I just can't pass these up! I didn't even take pictures of everything I got either! Lots of clothes, a Rocking Elephant (think wooden, like a rocking horse) for a buck that needs some restoration...going to paint and fix it up! Can't WAIT!!! I brand new Johnny Jump-up, a gaint wicker clothes hamper, brand new still in the box AVENT bottles, tons of board books on the cheap....ahhh so much!

Note: When I get home, I WASH everything, even the books, like the board books...I know my baby will be gnawing them and slobbering them, I take them page by page with a clorox wipe and let them dry, I scrub all the toys in soapy water with a bit of bleach, the clothes I throw in the wash, things like the swing, I ripped the cover off, threw it in the wash too...
I do love finding great deals, BUT I do not like the potential germies that come with used toys and such.

Can't wait till next Saturday!

PS, the baby is measuring BIG and farther along than we thought I was, by 11 days...oh boy...please PRAY that he won't come before John gets home!!!

9 comments:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

OK- courtenay- do you remember that exact camper from my house? and those exact peoples. Man. You got an incredible deal- I can't believe you got all that for a dollar! That is incredible, like you said- it's major mula on ebay! And you got SOooooooo many of them! We were always loosing peoples growing up, and always wishing we had mroe. Man! That is so amazing! Blocks- I remember having a fight with you and blocks-I wanted a tall one, and you wanted teh same one, and you said you were going home, and then you got teh tree, and I said- Courtenay, do you want to still play? oh boy! Doesn't it sound fun to just go back and be a little kid again! Great deals! I love garage sales! Did you see teh mirror I got at one this week? it's in my creative space- I think you'll like it- especially the finished product- I can't believe your baby is growing so fast and john isn't here!!!!! WELL, if he isn't there- people will come and help out, it will all be ok. And you have many more children to have together- Megan's in the same boat as you, Greg MIGHT miss hers. i love you!

Jenni Call said...

That is ah-mazing! I wish we had more garage sale options around my area. You totally rocked the sales this week.

Danielle said...

Wow- that is amazing! I recognize all of those people and we had that exact camper! How AWESOME! I am so excited for you! I need to go garage saleing more. I LOVE craigslist and DI, so I know I'd love garage sales. You've motivated me.

Unknown said...

So back in the day...when I was a newlywed and new mom...I was the garage sale queen of Gilroy! I totally planned out my route on Friday nights ( no google maps though) and headed out first thing on Saturday mornings! I knew which neighborhoods I could score the best stuff so always went there first. I've gotten out of the habit now - but you almost inspire me to try again - except I don't need "stuff" and I love to sleep in on Saturdays!

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

I LOVE the stuff you find! Our garage sales are NOT that cool, it's mostly random broken stuff and smelly old clothes. ;{ Jealous of your luck! love the little people and the books I'm a sucker for those vintage books too! I do seem to have good luck with the disney ones. but that's it. :) yikes, so he's measuring ahead of schedule? Hopefully that little boy waits for his dad to get home!!

greg&sarina said...

garage sales are so fun! too bad i live out in the country (i love it here though) anyway - i just popped over to say that you are in my prayers! good luck these last couple weeks ... i went a week late with both of my boys, so there's always hope - and of course God has a plan that's much better than anything we could come up with!!
blessings, sarina

Emily said...

Big babies rock, I hope the little guy stays put and waits for daddy!!

Freaking sweet garage sale deals!!!!!! Those little people, holy cow...memories.

Carol and Bruce said...

Those are some sweet deals! That Doctor kit still gets played with almose every day around here so plan on it lasting forever.

The diaper bag is amazing as well as all your other sewing projects, you are amazing.

I hope to hear some really exciting news real soon, try to wait for your mom to get there though:)

Lizzie said...

Holy crap. Those toys....so cheap! Those little peoples on ebay are pricey...I've looked into buying some. And those wooden blocks? I loved those so much growing up I bought them on ebay for my kids. They play with them all the time.

That stuff you made...AMAZING. I can't believe all those onsies you made. I LOVE the ruffle one, and the tree one. They look so dang cool. The freezer paper thing always intimidates me. And 1.50 onsies at Walmart. So cool.

Good luck with the baby!!!!